Broken Arrow beats Union!

tmh8286

Congrats to the Broken Arrow Tigers for beating the Union Redskins in 6A football last night, 24-9.  This is the first win by the Tigers over the Redskins in twenty two games, over seventeen years.  Truly an incredible game.

Any Redskin alumni floating around out there today :-D??

I'm a Jenks alumnus and am pleased with the outcome.  Union is right up there with the Dallas Cowboys and New York Yankees -- my 2nd favorite team is whoever is playing them.

The Jenks/Union Backyard Bowl on Friday should be another epic game.  Year-after-year, the game is a must-see because there is almost always some type of big-time play that happens during the game.  It is truly one of the top five high school rivalries in the United States.  The only game that has a real bust in this series over the last ten years was about four years ago when it poured rain and they played at Union's 10,000 seat stadium instead of Skelly Stadium.  Union won something like 32-0 that year. 

This year, the game is back at Union's stadium as Chapman Stadium (formerly known as Skelly Stadium) won't be ready for a game (due to their construction/facelift) until the next weekend (9/20).  It's also about the time Hurricant Ike should be showing up in Texas/Oklahoma.

The one Union alum that I know of on the board has not responded - I guess he knows that his refusal to play takes all the fun out of taunting :-D!

I can't believe Union struggled so much to score.  They have about six guys on offense that are going to go D-1.  I've been told by a couple media members that they just don't think Union has a good enough quarterback.

The Jenks/Union game is huge this week for the Redskins.  A 0-2 would really hurt.

Great win for BA though!  First time since 1989! 

It was funny listening to the game as the BA commentators struggled to keep their excitement under control with every second that ticked off the clock in the second half. It seemed like they were expecting the roof to cave in any second.

It was funny listening to the game as the BA commentators struggled to keep their excitement under control with every second that ticked off the clock in the second half. It seemed like they were expecting the roof to cave in any second.

What station was the BA broadcast on?  I wasn't able to find it Friday night, and none of the people I've asked knew, either.  Can you help me out, vcb?

It was on "beloved" AM 1430 The Buzz.  :wink:

Thanks, man.  Hey, I'm impressed that they got on the 100,000 watt blowtorch of the area!!  I bet they're hearing Broken Arrow football in Ft. Smith!