TU ranks No. 1 among state schools in magazine

Mike Minyard

TU ranks No. 1 among state schools in magazine

By SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer

8/22/2008

Last Modified: 8/22/2008  2:19 AM

The University of Tulsa continues to retain its top spot among Oklahoma colleges in the annual U.S. News & World Report higher education rankings.

TU rose eight places to No. 83 among the nation's best universities. The University of Oklahoma is in a five-way tie for 108th, the same rank it was last year.

Oklahoma State University is listed in the third tier of universities, and Oral Roberts University is in the fourth, or last, tier. Universities in these categories are not ranked and are listed alphabetically. Both colleges are in the same tier as in last year's report.

Full Story: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080822_11_A1_Geoffr695941

There is no doubt that ORU needs to improve - and that process has begun. Be careful of using US New & World Report as a guide for academic or scholarly excellence. Some of the metrics that differentiate ORU are not measured (or even treated as a detriment) in these reviews.

You know, we all love ORU for our own reasons.  Reports such as these are really irrelavent to the way I feel.  I'll be thrilled if my boys end up at ORU, regardless of what U.S. News & World Report might say.