ORU to hold Media Day

SOLO_Gold

I like the message of transparency that this sends and obviously backs up because the media will do what they do best and ask a lot of questions. I think we still need to be praying for fair treatment though.

I heard there were changes made to the honor code. Anyone have any details?

I heard there were changes made to the honor code. Anyone have any details?

As noted elsewhere, we signed the Honor Code in chapel today.  Biggest noticable change was reducing it from a booklet to one page.  Didn't put them side by side for comparison, but would say most changes were minor wording like "Regents" to "Trustees", etc.  For all practical purposes, it was the same -- no major changes.

Can we get rid of the honor code, already?

Does anyone still think that you can legislate morality???

I've got no problem with it - in fact, I've be very disappointed if they did get rid of it. 

You can go to any secular school in the country and you'll have no such expectations placed upon you, voice.  You want to take one of the things that sets ORU apart and do away with it. 

Ditch the honor code, and you do away with the heart and soul of the univeristy, in my opinion.

But then, I suspect you just said that to get something going, didn't you, voice :wink:?

Yes, I did.

I like us to THINK and DISCUSS critically. Sometimes, I'll even argue a side with you guys, just for the sake of getting some thoughts moving, when I don't truly believe the side I'm taking! :evil:

Can we get rid of the honor code, already?

Does anyone still think that you can legislate morality???

Yes you can - to an extent

Case in point - the civil rights movement and the abolishment of slavery. Sure, it didn't completely eliminate it but I would say it helped us as a society take great strides. It's not an all encompassing law (that you can just pass legislature that will flip a switch on people's moral compass) but in the long run it shifts paradigms.

Day 1 a law is put into motion it will probably not change the hearts and the minds of everyone it is effecting but for their children and grandchildren - things will be different...whether positive or negative.

I'm all for the honour code as well (with a minor spelling correction) :-D. You can communicate that ORU is a special place to be and in order to be there, you agree to abide by a certain standard. Is it the standard that you would apply if you were to choose . . . maybe not. Life is all about living by sets of rules and thank God that in N. America, many of us can choose which rules we choose to follow. Not following rules carries with it consequences. If you don't mind the consequences, don't follow the rules, but at ORU, don't be so shallow as to say that you will follow the rules and then don't. While I was at ORU, I chose to use my freedom to obey the honour code that I had chosen to sign. It was a great lesson in discipline and respect. Thank God that ORU has an administration at present whose example of living up to certain standards is, well, . . . exemplary!

Yes, I did.

I like us to THINK and DISCUSS critically.

BTW, voice, I fully agree with you on this point.

I like the honor code. If you would have asked me 5 years ago when I was in school I would have told you to rip it up and burn it, but time brings perspective.

ORU sets itselt apart in so many bigger areas but the honor code is a small part of that and perhaps even an unattributed catalyst of part of that positive difference. It creates a high standard and an accountability between the administration, faculty, and students.

My only prayer is that, unlike 5-10 years ago, it is administered and governed using wisdom and careful judgment. That hasn't always been the case but I like what I'm seeing in the governance of the school and I believe that this is one of the ways that students will see some outsanding improvements and transitions. Less rush and more careful and Godly judgment. I think the school, unlike in past years, needs to exercise careful restraint and understanding that 20 year olds will mess up, make mistakes, experiment, and test boundaries and then deal with each situation accordingly.

My only problem with anything is small...I like the dress code the way it is now, but I wish they would let a guy have a goatee if he wants a goatee and if you're at least a Junior in college, I think you need to be given the freedom to go to IHOP at 2 in the morning to study or anything else for that matter. I do think ORU shuts kids in their dorm rooms for four years with less campus opportunities to mingle than the average school and they need to let young adults be young adults and decide when they feel like its time to come in for the night. Freshmen and maybe sophomores are ok, but college is preparation for full adulthood and kids need to be given that level of freedom before they graduate.

Life is all about living by sets of rules and thank God that in N. America, many of us can choose which rules we choose to follow. Not following rules carries with it consequences. If you don't mind the consequences, don't follow the rules, but at ORU, don't be so shallow as to say that you will follow the rules and then don't. While I was at ORU, I chose to use my freedom to obey the honour code that I had chosen to sign. It was a great lesson in discipline and respect.

I couldn't have said it better, Ron.

You chose to use your freedom to follow the honour (as you "chose" to spell it) code.

Without discipline and respect we couldn't have made it this far in life!

I saw ORU as a four year (or five or more) preparation for life. 

The honour code is part of that life lession.