Another Benefit Of Getting ORU Players In The Big Leagues

ORUJason

I heard the other day that Joe Nathan (closer for the Minnesota Twins) donated $500,000 to his alma mater, Stony Brook University, who are building a new baseball stadium, and it will be called "Joe Nathan Stadium."  When he played there it was a Division III school.  I hope down the road that we can be talking about significant donations from several ORU baseball alums in the big leagues.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spnathan125797773aug12,0,4338160.story

MINNEAPOLIS - Chances are Joe Nathan never could have envisioned this when he began playing baseball at Stony Brook University.

Stony Brook still was in Division III when Nathan arrived as a scrawny shortstop in 1993. He pitched less than two innings in college. Now the Twins' elite closer - who struck out the side against the Yankees in the ninth last night - has donated $500,000 to his alma mater to support the construction of a new baseball field for the successful Division I program.......

I guess Keith Lockhart and Mike Moore would be two of the most successful?  How many other former ORU players would potentially be philanthropic?

Speaking of Mike Moore... he was on campus this week.  I don't know if he has a kid coming to ORU or not, but Mike was here in the athletic department offices.  It's great to see Mike Carter reaching out to former student-athletes.