NBA Talk.....

rlh

I posted this on the Valpo board, so I thought I would here too....I find it interesting, even if I don't totally agree....My son was the student SID at Indiana State when Tates Locke was the coach there, so they know each other pretty well. Locke was one of the scouts in attendance at the Valpo/ORU game....afterwards, my son and he were talking and Locke gave this assessment of the guys they watched...

The guy the scouts were most impressed with was Berdiel, because there aren't that many 6'6" point guards. He said Berdiel will no doubt get a tryout but his quickness will hurt him some....as far as Oppland and Green, he said both will make a "ton" of money probably in Europe. They just aren't big enough for their positions for the NBA, and neither is quick enough. However both will be invited to tryout camps when the time comes....as far as Kone...athletically he is gifted, but has a lot to learn. Will probably get a tryout, but will be assigned to the developmental league or he'll go overseas. There's a place for him, but maybe not the NBA, at least not right now.

I don't know if he's right or not, but I thought it was interesting to hear a scout and former college and pro coaches assessment. It sounds like none of our guys have that good a chance in the NBA, but some have a very good chance to be pro's if they want it.

I dunno anything about Valpo players but it's always been my guess that Green could probably do well in Europe. I'm no scout so I didn't really think of the quickness factor, but I definitely didn't think he was big enough to be a PF or have outside-inside skills to be a SF in the NBA. Hopefully he continues to improve next year and then finds a good opportunity overseas, if that's what his goal is.

I wouldn't rule out Caleb's NBA chances just yet, I definitely think we'll know more about his chances in a year from now. Does anyone think that Ben Wallace is too small to play center in the NBA?

Kevin Johnson was a DOMINANT player at TU and performed great against good talent. His NBA dreams were all but squelched when they measured his height. He has done extremely well in some of the harder league in Europe. Green has almost no shot at the NBA unless he develops an consistent outside shot and even then a long shot as Johnson did so and it didnt help him.

This is NOT a knock on Caleb, just a reality check on the landscape of the NBA. In all honesty, he could probably make just as much overseas. Let's just keep him healthy for now!!!!!!

ash =o)