Students react to updates at ORU

Mike Minyard

Students react to updates at ORU

Reported by: Krista Flasch

Email: flasch@kjrh.com

Last Update: 8/11 7:08 pm

Students at Oral Roberts University say they're looking forward to a new year without any controversy.

Classes start this Thursday. School officials say they'll know by the end of August if attendance is down because of the controversy during the last school year. Last November, Richard Roberts resigned as university president after three former professors filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against him and the school. The lawsuit also alleges moral and financial misconduct by Roberts and his wife, Lindsay.

Students spent Monday moving into their dormitories. Roommates Twyla Reimer and Sarah Dugan discovered some pleasant surprises.

"We've got all these new renovations, including the micro-fridges. And new carpet, a new shower, which is incredibe," said Reimer. "And they're really nice," said Dugan.

ORU spent more than $10 million in campus-wide renovations, from simple changes like landscaping to upgrading electrical systems. It's a big deal, because students say the school was looking run-down.

"We're not halfway where we need to be, but we've made a significant jump," said interim president and provost, Dr. Ralph Fagin. He says this is the most money the school has spent on renovations since it was built.

The upgrades are possible because of a $70 million donation from Mardel founder Mart Green. He gave millions last semester after then president Richard Roberts resigned. The money also helped the school slash its debt more than $30 million.

"In just a period of six months, we've gone from $55 million to $19 million in debt," said Fagin. "And that makes us a stronger university."

So far, students like what they see.

"There is, like, a different feeling in the air, and I've only been here an hour and I already feel it," said Dugan. "I'm way more excited than last year to be here. So, I think it'll be a lot better."

The search for university president continues. School officials say more than 100 people have applied. A candidate should be nailed down by next summer.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=11b557f2-1e7d-4c89-a759-ede86f48bdb7

Woud LOVE to see the list of candidates who have applied - would be very interesting.

Don't count on ever seeing that list.  The search committee and the head hunter have made a commitment to protect those applying for the position.  They don't want to hurt anyone's status with their current employer or hurt their reputation for future career moves.  So this process will remain behind closed doors for the most part.  I'd really be surprised to see much information come out before the announcement in April or May.

If anything, they may announce a list of 3-5 finalists when it reaches that point, but I'd agree with MM that this will be quite private - primarily to protect the candidates.

If anything, they may announce a list of 3-5 finalists when it reaches that point, but I'd agree with MM that this will be quite private - primarily to protect the candidates.

My understanding is that there won't even be a short list announced.  It may leak out, but nothing official will be sent out from what I've heard.  Basically I was told by the head hunter that we won't hear anything else until someone accepts the job.

They did allow the Alumni Board to make recommendations for potential candidates.  I recommended Dr. Nido Qubein, the current school president of High Point University.  I highly doubt he would be interested, but I'd like for us to have a president of his caliber.

http://www.highpoint.edu/administration/president/?DeptCategory=170&PageID=3577