Whitney Wehmeyer

TrueBlue82

I must've missed this earlier - but Whitney Wehmeyer has transferred to St. Marys (Texas).  A part-time starter as a freshman...who seemed to have great potential for the future.  Does anyone know the inside scoop?

http://www.stmarytx.edu/athletics/?go=wbasket&id=1774

I hadn't heard about this either, Blue.  I agree, though, she really seemed to have great potential.  Looks like she was from Texas, maybe she wanted to be closer to home - or maybe she had playing time issues - who knows?  Sorry to see her go, though.  I enjoyed watching her play.

Playing time issues, I was sad to hear she was leaving too. Whit will do really well down there.

Kind of weird that as a freshman she thought she should come in and play all the time.  Not many freshmen get to do that.  Didn't she also have some injury problems during the year?  I guess maybe she'll get the PT she apparently needs at a St. Mary's.  I assume she'll set out a year . . .

Kind of weird that as a freshman she thought she should come in and play all the time.  Not many freshmen get to do that.  Didn't she also have some injury problems during the year?  I guess maybe she'll get the PT she apparently needs at a St. Mary's.  I assume she'll set out a year . . .

From what I've read, she won't need to sit out - St Mary's is an NCAA D-2 school.

From what I've read, she won't need to sit out - St Mary's is an NCAA D-2 school.

When I checked Pomeroy I found a D-I St. Mary's, and assumed it was the same one.  It's probably a different school by the same name that I found :oops: . . .

Whitney played well for a freshman early in the year, and then dealt with some injuries.  But I remember wondering once she was "healthy" why she wasn't playing more.  There is usually more to the story than meets the eye in situations like this. 

Then again, she is walking away from a lot considering that we went to the NCAAs this previous year, and should have a contending team next year as well.

Maybe she was homesick.  You never know if she misses her old boyfriend, or if her parents put pressure on her to play closer to home, etc.  I'm sorry to hear that she won't be back, because I think she had a lot of potential, she wasn't afraid to be physical, and she had nice touch right around the basket.

Whitney played well for a freshman early in the year, and then dealt with some injuries.  But I remember once she was "healthy" why she wasn't playing more.  There is usually more to the story than meets the eye in situations like this. 

Then again, she is walking away from a lot considering that we went to the NCAAs this previous year, and should have a contending team next year as well.

Maybe she was homesick.  You never know if she misses her old boyfriend, or if her parents put pressure on her to play closer to home, etc.  I'm sorry to hear that she won't be back, because I think she had a lot of potential, she wasn't afraid to be physical, and she had nice touch right around the basket.

Ditto to all you said, Jason :-).

I was suprised to see that she didn't play much in the tournament. She showed flashes of excelence early in the year.  With the girls coming in, i guess she got shuffled even more to the rear.  Too bad.  Nice player.