Upcoming Alumni Event - August 5

Mike Minyard

Hey, alumni! Let's kick back, relax, and talk about whatever comes to mind at the all-new

Alumni Social Hour!

Alumni Relations is holding the first-ever Social Hour on Tuesday, August 5 from 5 to about 6:30 p.m. in the Grand Slam Room at ORU's J. L. Johnson Stadium. (Now, that's a room with a view!)

So, shake off the stress of a long workday by joining other alums for some downtime. It'll be fun! And it's free.

We'll have some light refreshments to cool you off. Parking is available right outside the stadium.

You can RSVP by clicking here. See you there!

I'll miss it by 48 hours!  I'll be in town next Thursday to deliver our són to ORU.  Maybe next time! 

Sounds like fun...TheEagleman would love to be there if he could....is that all the Coors you can drink included??.... :-D

I just talked to someone in the Alumni Office and they have had over 40 people RSVP for the event.  We should have a really good turnout assuming that most people are as bad as me when it comes submitting the RSVP.

Missing events like this just adds to the reasons I wish I could move back to Tulsa.  The long drive to home games at these gas prices does not help either.  I'll feel better when I get my Not-the-Sonics season tickets.

Maybe they could use a good attorney in the office where Gold* works -  it would provide a little balance  :-o . . .

Missing events like this just adds to the reasons I wish I could move back to Tulsa.  The long drive to home games at these gas prices does not help either.  I'll feel better when I get my Not-the-Sonics season tickets.

Seriously, could the naming of the new OKC NBA franchise have been handled more poorly?

How can you have 7-figure lawyers on your payroll and then misspell one of the six names you attempt to trademark ("Marshalls" instead of "Marshals")?

Coupled with the e-mail fiasco in Seattle before they left, these guys in the OKC front office have yet to impress me.

How about the OKC Titans?...i love the sound of that.... :-D

T-I-T-A-N-S TITANS!

T-I-T-A-N-S TITANS!

T-I-T-A-N-S TITANS!

T-I-T-A-N-S TITANS!

T-I-T-A-N-S TITANS!

Ahh . . . that felt good!

:-D

Seriously, could the naming of the new OKC NBA franchise have been handled more poorly?

How can you have 7-figure lawyers on your payroll and then misspell one of the six names you attempt to trademark ("Marshalls" instead of "Marshals")?

Coupled with the e-mail fiasco in Seattle before they left, these guys in the OKC front office have yet to impress me.

The attorney of record on the trademarks was Anil (apparently he is not very) V. George (http://www.martindale.com/Anil-V-George/510660-lawyer.htm) an attorney employed by the NBA.  The first group of trademarks were filed on behalf of NBA  Development League, LLC (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=shvm9f.3.45).  The same wrong name was later filed by the OKC ownership group's entity (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=shvm9f.3.6) but also by Mr. George. 

Two things are interesting:  (a) that the mistake has not been corrected; and (B) that no one else has filed a trademark for the Oklahoma City Marshals.

You can't entirely blame the OKC front office since the NBA apparently had a big hand in it.

The attorney of record on the trademarks was Anil (apparently he is not very) V. George (http://www.martindale.com/Anil-V-George/510660-lawyer.htm) an attorney employed by the NBA.  The first group of trademarks were filed on behalf of NBA  Development League, LLC (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=shvm9f.3.45).  The same wrong name was later filed by the OKC ownership group's entity (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=shvm9f.3.6) but also by Mr. George. 

Two things are interesting:  (a) that the mistake has not been corrected; and (B) that no one else has filed a trademark for the Oklahoma City Marshals.

You can't entirely blame the OKC front office since the NBA apparently had a big hand in it.

I have been a marshal at the US Open and PGA Championships, but I have always wanted to be a Marshal at a NBA game!!  :-D

Well, that's because the name "Barons" has been mentioned for months as the personal preference of owner Clay Bennett, so they probably don't care if "Marshals", or "Marshalls", or "Marshulls", or "Juan Marichals" is protected or not - they don't plan to use it anyway.

NBA writers are going to have a field day with "Barons" when they get a load of OKC's red dirt topography and equally bleak prospects for the playoffs.

How long before they're known to everyone as "The Barrens"?

And, their cheerleaders could wear really skimpy outfits and be called "The Bare 'Uns".  :-o

I heard the name was going to be the Thunder.

At least a team name of "Thunder" should make for some good sound effects when the team enters the arena (or makes a dunk)!  I wonder if they can make the seats vibrate, too when the thunder claps happen.  That should wake up some of the kids that fall asleep during the game, huh??  :-D

At least a team name of "Thunder" should make for some good sound effects when the team enters the arena (or makes a dunk)!  I wonder if they can make the seats vibrate, too when the thunder claps happen.  That should wake up some of the kids that fall asleep during the game, huh??  :-D

That sure beats the heck out of "The Bare Ones", or whatever.

Back to the point:  they don't seem overly concerned about correcting the gaffe regarding "Marshals", so I doubt that one is it.

And, back to the thread:  missed some of you Alumni Board types at the reception today.

But that's OK - I drank your milkshake.  8-)

Hated to miss the alumni event tonight, but life's a little too frantic right now . . . couldn't make it.  Glad you enjoyed my shake, though, OT. 

The deal with the mix-up with the name reminds me of something I read recently about the name of John Wayne's movie production company, Batjac Productions.  I've been fighting the urge to tell it all day, but you keep bringing up the "Marshall's" deal, and my willpower is weak tonight :evil:!

The original plan was to name his company "Batjak", named after an imaginary shipping company from one of his early movies.  The secretary typing up the legal papers thought that they had misspelled it, and that it should be "Batjack".  So she called one of the principles in the deal and asked if it should be spelled that way.  She was told, "No 'c' ", but she interpreted the instruction as, "No, 'c'", and typed up the legal papers as "Batjac", and that's how the company was registered, or whatever is done to form a company.  When John Wayne found out about the mistake, he said leave it - so the name of his company was always known as a misspelling of the intended name.

Maybe the same thing is happening in OKC :roll: . . .  (if you had just let the subject go you would have spared yourself from all this  :|)

Wish I could have made it yesterday, but I had something come up. I actually sold my car yesterday around 5 so I just didn't have the time or the wheels to get there. Hope it went well.