post-Valportum

Guest EagleBackr

I was listening to the game when that happened. When at the ARC Homer is KING, and the officials his subjects :) !

For that you are correct...but he's earned it.....I'm very surprised the university hasn't named the court after him like so many other schools have their long-time coaches...seems an honor overdue to me

For that you are correct...but he's earned it.....I'm very surprised the university hasn't named the court after him like so many other schools have their long-time coaches...seems an honor overdue to me

While listening to the Valp/IPFW game I was watching Duke/Maryland, and saw in big letters that the floor in Cameron Indoor Stadium had been named the "Coach K Court". On January 15, 2005, the court at Gallagher-Iba Arena at Oklahoma State University was officially named after Eddie Sutton as the Eddie Sutton Court.

Seems like naming the floor at the ARC after Homer Drew would be appropriate. Any big anniversaries or events coming up that could be used to honor him in that way?

Guest EagleBackr
He was sitting on the bench....I have the tape to prove it....Nice try....

Gee,rlh....I thought....you said....you were never....acknowledging my....existence again...that lasted....about a week...NICE TRY!!

My point is this: Homer Drew, nice guy and all, tries to intimidate referees by REGULARLY walking out of the coaches box and onto the court DURING PLAY to question calls and give instructions to his players. Are you saying he doesn't? Because I've sure as heck seen him do it at EVERY ORU/Valpo game I've ever seen...

(If you can't bring yourself to answer me directly, you can probably relay a message through the Swiss Embassy or some other neutral party, like Rob Marshall or ORU Terry...)

My point is this: Homer Drew, nice guy and all, tries to intimidate referees by REGULARLY walking out of the coaches box and onto the court DURING PLAY to question calls and give instructions to his players. Are you saying he doesn't? Because I've sure as heck seen him do it at EVERY ORU/Valpo game I've ever seen...

So what? He gets plenty of T's too. There aren't but a handful of Division I coaches who DON'T do this.

He does it on the road too, by the way. It's called fighting for your players (maybe Scott Sutton should try it a few times). If a ref can be that easily intimidated, he should get out of the business.

Guest EagleBackr
So what? He gets plenty of T's too.

...he's never gotten one in any Mid-Con game featuring Valpo that I've ever seen - including the ones in addition to ORU, that would be around 15 games total. I used to blame it on the Steinbrecher connection with the conference office, but it's plain to see, as the NWI Times story alluded to, that as long as you're Homer Drew, it's "harmless" and the normal rules don't apply. I wonder how you guys would react if Greg Kampe or Ron Hunter pulled a stunt like that in the ARC - you'd be yelling "T! - T!" so loud your heads would spin...

He got one several years ago at Mabee Center, EB. In classic Homer fashion, after a call from the refs he didn't like he threw his coat on the floor and stomped out to center court, yelling something at the refs.

In quite dramatic fashion.

I wonder how you guys would react if Greg Kampe or Ron Hunter pulled a stunt like that in the ARC - you'd be yelling "T! - T!" so loud your heads would spin...

Or how about Scott Sutton - the one THEY call the "whiner"?

Guest EagleBackr
He got one several years ago at Mabee Center, EB. In classic Homer fashion, after a call from the refs he didn't like he threw his coat on the floor and stomped out to center court, yelling something at the refs.

In quite dramatic fashion.

I remember the instance to which you refer - a Valpo player went down in a heap at mid-court, and Homer just walked right out to there like he was being introduced or something. I remember the whistle being blown, and going to a media timeout, but I don't remember him getting a "T". I thought the Mid-Con refs gave him the benefit of the doubt because (as you could see him campaigning) "he thought his player was hurt". The funny thing was, as he walked out there toward the writhing Crusader, he never even looked down at the guy - he was yelling at the ref the whole way!!

...he's never gotten one in any Mid-Con game featuring Valpo that I've ever seen - including the ones in addition to ORU, that would be around 15 games total. I used to blame it on the Steinbrecher connection with the conference office, but it's plain to see, as the NWI Times story alluded to, that as long as you're Homer Drew, it's "harmless" and the normal rules don't apply. I wonder how you guys would react if Greg Kampe or Ron Hunter pulled a stunt like that in the ARC - you'd be yelling "T! - T!" so loud your heads would spin...

Yes I would. What's your point? It's called partisanship. I EXPECT a coach to fight for his players. If I'm yelling it's because I don't agree with that coach's judgment in that particular case. But that's all part of the game.

By the way, Homer apologized to both the refs and Dane Fife.

What exactly is your malfunction?

[ I remember the whistle being blown, and going to a media timeout, but I don't remember him getting a "T".

Unfortunately, technical fouls are the one "stat" that the media guide doesn't cover, so there's no way to go back and check. I'm pretty certain he got T'd up at least once at Mabee.

Unfortunately, technical fouls are the one "stat" that the media guide doesn't cover, so there's no way to go back and check. I'm pretty certain he got T'd up at least once at Mabee.

The box scores tell you who got a "T". Caleb has two of them this season.

Gee,rlh....I thought....you said....you were never....acknowledging my....existence again...that lasted....about a week...NICE TRY!!

Nice "elliptical" parody, EB! It's hard not to read those without thinking they should be voiced as Shatner's Captain Kirk.