Springman now back in majors after a stop at Union

Mike Minyard

Coach is a family man first

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

7/14/2008

Bill Springman put his family first when he made the decision to leave professional baseball in 2000.

A hitting coach for the Minnesota Twins, Springman walked away from the pro game because his wife, RexAnn, was pregnant with the couple's third child. In addition, health concerns for his wife's parents prompted the former Oral Roberts player to make a career change.

Full Story:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=20080714_225_B1_spancl470425

Nice to read about a good family man with some character...... :-)

I got a chance to see Bill's son play in an 11-12 year old game that I was umpiring on Saturday.  You can tell that he has gotten a few hitting lessons from someone!  :wink:

Bogus behind the plate in blue???.....now that's something i want to see..... :-D

Bogus behind the plate in blue???.....now that's something i want to see..... :-D

You should see me when I ring up an unsuspecting 11 year old for a called third strike!  :-D

What gets me though is when the coaches yell at me about my bogus calls...I mean, I made the call, it should be bogus, right??

What gets me though is when the coaches yell at me about my bogus calls...I mean, I made the call, it should be bogus, right??

Ohhhh, yeahhhhh!!!

I remember when my boys played Tulsa Little League there was one of the umps out there that would start the game by telling the boys and the coaches that his strike zone was between the chin and the shoe laces, or something like that.  With that strike zone, he rarely missed a call :wink:!!!

TheEagleman has also done 20+ yrs of officiating though i gave up baseball 2-3 yrs ago and now concentrate solely on football....however, i was once doing a 14-15 yr old junior babe ruth league game behind the plate and rung up a kid on a called strike 3.....he turned towards the dugout in disgust and flung his bat way up in the air.....i calmly said...son, if that bat comes down...you're out of the game!..... :-D

TheEagleman has also done 20+ yrs of officiating though i gave up baseball 2-3 yrs ago and now concentrate solely on football....however, i was once doing a 14-15 yr old junior babe ruth league game behind the plate and rung up a kid on a called strike 3.....he turned towards the dugout in disgust and flung his bat way up in the air.....i calmly said...son, if that bat comes down...you're out of the game!..... :-D

Great story, Eagleman :wink:.

thanks but i can't take full credit for inventing the line....i believe i read in Jim Bouton's first book, Ball Four, that a major league ump used it in a game back in the 60's.....i was always looking for a chance to use it and darned if it didn't happen that hot summer day....... :-P