Steve Holm Caught In The Numbers Game...

Bogus Smith

Granted, Steve had 2 hits in his last 20 at-bats and his overall Batting AVG was down to .214, but this guy sounds like a real gem (tongue firmly in cheek).  Steve just needs to be patient and he'll be back with in the show soon.  This guy will self destruct with the next injury.

Alfonzo back with Giants after ban

By Jayson Addcox / Special to MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Catcher Eliezer Alfonzo, fresh off a 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's steroid policy, was recalled from Triple-A Fresno prior to Tuesday night's game against the Cubs at AT&T Park.

Alfonzo strolled into the Giants clubhouse two hours before game time and was greeted warmly by his teammates, including fellow Venezuelans Jose Castillo and Omar Vizquel. Alfonzo, who reiterated that he did not knowingly take steroids, said he was happy to be back and ready to help the club.

"Whatever happened, happened. It was a mistake and I've left that in the past," Alfonzo said. "If I knew that I took steroids, I would not have tried to prove the league wrong for a whole month. I did not knowingly take anything that was a drug."

Alfonzo tested positive for the steroid Stanozolol, which is not injectable and sold as a tablet. The catcher said that he might have taken a drug that was banned by MLB when he was diagnosed with bronchitis in Venezuela this past December.  He said he took several medications and then returned to the states and tested positive.

"I was in contact with the lawyers from Major League Baseball and gave them everything they asked for," Alfonzo said. "They looked at all the proof and the exams and told me that I tested positive for Stanozolol."

For Alfonzo, his return to the Giants marks a fresh start for the catcher who showed a lot of promise during the 2006 season. Alfonzo, who said he lost 15 pounds in the last month said he was disappointed when he didn't make the team after Spring Training, but said he understood he didn't perform well.

"I felt horrible after Spring Training," Alfonzo said. "But I recognize that I didn't do what the team needed me to do. I worked hard in Fresno and now I feel 100 percent physically."

Alfonzo, who was injured in a collision at home plate in game against the Oakland A's on June 8, 2007, has struggled to regain his form since undergoing surgery to repair a torn left posterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

After hitting .266 with 12 homers and 39 RBIs in 2006, Alfonzo struggled last season, hitting .250 with just one big fly and six RBIs in 26 games.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said the move was made because the team felt it needed to add some more pop to the lineup. Bochy also said that Alfonzo's suspension did not play a role in the decision to call him up.

"He tested positive; that's the rule in baseball," Bochy said. "Regardless of what happened, he served his 50 days and that's it. I think he should look at this like a fresh start."

Bochy said he would use Alfonzo in a similar role as backup catcher Steve Holm, who was optioned to Triple-A to make room for Alfonzo.

"Alfonzo was playing well in Connecticut, and then he went up and did a good job in Fresno," Bochy said. "He's got experience up here, and he'll give us a good right-handed bat off the bench. He's earned this."