Sonics moving to OKC

bballmangc

Just wondering what everyone else who is in Oklahoma, what they thought about the new NBA team moving to OKC.  I am personally excited about the move and hope we can support the team.  It will be fun to drive down for a few games each season.

I can't believe they're moving that quickly. That's gotta be exciting for people in Oklahoma to finally have a real professional franchise to call their own. Seattle gets to keep the "SuperSonics/Sonics" name so I'm curious to see what they end up doing for the new name. I just hope they don't do something too midwest/southwest like Wranglers/Rattlers/Twisters...etc. Much to the chagrin of local fans, I'm sure Sooners isn't an option either... :-D

heh...spoke too soon...did some googling and I guess "Dusters" and "Twisters" are two of the early leading candidates according to rumors...

I've been hearing that "Thunder" is the current leader at this time. I'm sure the owners have had a name set aside for months.

I definitely like Thunder better.

Maybe in the ridiculous-mascot-for-the-locale-spirit of TU,  they can call themselves the TROPICAL Thunder.  :-D

I looked at the divisions and there is not really any reasonable way to re-align but it's a shame OKC can't be in the same division as DAL-HOU-SA.

I am really excited that we will have an NBA team in the state that we can root for and go to a few games during the season.

• 4 weeks later...

OKC team name.... 

The link I posted expired, but here are the names that have received trademarks...

Thunder

Energy

Wind

Barons

Bison

and maybe a couple others.