Walton off and rolling

tmh8286

Walton and Co. got it done again last night against the Martinsville Mustangs of the Coastal Plain League, a summer wood bat league, winning 6-0. 

“It was hard for us to manufacture runs today. Their pitching was really strong, and it was very polished,” [Mustangs Coach Barry] Powell said. “They pretty much threw at will where they wanted, when they wanted.”

That brings the team record to 7-0.

Mustangs fall to USA National Team 6-0

Congrats to Coach Walton and his gang....sounds like with this kind of publicity...sooner or later a bigger baseball school will come knocking... :-(

Some updating is in order - first, Team USA (Collegiate) has been playing since June 10.  The have an overall record of 15-2.  I was confused by the one article, which stated that they had a record of 6-0 against China-Taipei.  I'm back on track now.

There are no stats available on line, that I've found so far.  There is no mention of Petralli on the twenty two man roster, although I remember hearing that he was supposed to be part of the team.

Here's a link to their web site, showing the team roster, schedule, etc.:

2008 USA National Team (Collegiate)

"Team USA travels Wednesday to Europe, where it will compete for the remainder of the month. The first stop is the 2008 Haarlem Baseball Week in the Netherlands. Play begins Saturday against Japan. First pitch is scheduled for 8 a.m. EDT."

What's the nickname of the Taipei National Team?  Is it the "Personalities"?

Good one...  :lol:

Looks like Walton's team USA is unbeatable as they take another win against the Netherlands.

Not much news around here about the team - but Team USA is undefeated in the first national tournament they are playing in.

The team beat the Cuban Olympic team (favorite for gold in China) 1-0

They now play them tomorrow in the championship.

It was the first time the National team (college players) had beaten the Cuban professionals (Olympic team) since 1996!  Big win for the Team.

Hope they can have another special day tomorrow and then we can see how the USA Olympic teams does against the same team on August 14th.

Thanks for the updates.....

Here is a link to the Team USA schedule and results:  Link

Rob has done a terrific job of selecting pitchers.  Through the first twelve games the team pitching ERA is 0.89.  Of the twelve pitcher's on the roster, the pitcher with the highest ERA is at 2.00, the next highest is 1.38.  That is incredible!!

I hope the second half of their season is as successful as the first. 

Fantastic results...i hope Rob is getting paid well for this.......... :-D

They just made history today! They beat the Cuban olympic team today in championship game.  Same Cuban team that won the Athens olympics in 2004 and silver medal in word games 2006 (minus 1 player), and will be going to China in August.

Great win for the college boys today.