Hunter to travel to Peru, not Nigeria, on goodwill mission

Mike Minyard

Hunter to travel to Peru, not Nigeria, on goodwill mission

By Dana O'Neil

ESPN.com

The shoes will still make their way to Africa but Ron Hunter and his IUPUI basketball players won't accompany them.

Hunter, who has collected more than 250,000 pairs of sneakers as part of his goodwill mission, Shoes for Hope, has had to shift locales because of escalating travel concerns in Nigeria. Recent information from the African country, including a new Muslim law that legislates how women may dress and when they can appear in public, forced Hunter to alter the team's July trip to Lima, Peru.

The coach and his university's administration met for more than two hours on Monday to discuss the trip, even taking feedback from Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels. Ultimately Hunter made the decision to forgo Nigeria.

"It's been very, very hard on me. I've put a lot of planning into this," said Hunter, who planned to bring his wife and children to Nigeria as well as six of his players. "But the intelligence indicated it wasn't a safe time to go. If it was just me, I would still go but we have a travel party of more than 50 and I feel too responsible and couldn't take the risk of anything happening."

Full Story: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3462050&campaign=rss&source=NCAAHeadlines