The King of Kansas - Tulsa World (6-23-2008)

ORUTerry

The king of Kansas

200806_B1_b1self0623.jpg

Kansas coach Bill Self cuts down the net after Kansas defeated Memphis 75-68 in OT to win the 2008 national championship in San Antonio. Self played at OSU and coached at ORU and TU. MARK HUMPHREY/Associated Press

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

6/23/2008

(excerpt)

Molded by his years in Tulsa, Bill Self savors national title

AMONG PERKS reserved for champions is a trip to the White House and a meeting with the president of the United States.

Coach Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks, a few weeks removed from their dramatic, come-from-behind overtime conquest of Memphis in the NCAA Tournament basketball finale, recently traveled to Washington, D.C., for a ceremony with George W. Bush.

Self's assessment of the experience: "Awesome."

"It far surpassed my expectations," Self continued. "It was one of the coolest experiences of my life. To have President Bush spend 15 minutes with us in the Rose Garden, and then for him to meet with us in the Oval Office — I thought it was great. It's pretty cool when the president takes 30 minutes out of his day so that he can talk to your guys."

On Monday, as Self serves as the keynote speaker during the Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Awards banquet, he undoubtedly will recount Kansas' run and his day at the White House.

(read further down for a mention of ORU and a quote from Chad Wilkerson....)

Link to Tulsa World Sports