True confessions

ron

Okay, guys. I'm going to out myself today as a soccer fan, realizing that I may incur wrath, distain and pity from other members of the board :|. While I was at ORU in the late 70's and early 80's, I briefly played on (practiced with) the soccer club at the time. I wish I would have stuck with the sport, but other priorities crowded it out of my schedule again.

Living in Germany for 14 years, I had the choice between soccer and handball if I wanted to follow any kind of sports at all. I intensified a liking for soccer that began as a player at ORU and began following the sport in the newspapers and conversations on my long commuter train rides to my place of work.

Friends, soccer is a great sport to play and to watch! It takes a while to pick up some of the strategic considerations that are involved but it is particularly exciting precisely because it is so hard to score in the games.

The part that I enjoy most though is the international aspect of the game. It is fascinating to see how entire nations in the world are totally caught up in the excitement that surrounds their countries participation in these contests. Right now I myself am riding the wave of the success that the German team is having at this years European Cup. As a (former) missionary, aside from the joy of watching the game, I also think about the potential that people have to get excited and becoming committed to something with such a fervour. You know, of course, what my hope is . . . :-D

I decline to comment on the grounds that I will incriminate myself.....

lol  :-D

Terry, I didn't want to out myself while you were in Italy. You seemed to be having such fun not understanding what Italians could possibly be seeing in the game. I didn't want to spoil your vacation. :-D

BTW, Italy has just been tossed out of the Cup race. They're not enjoying the game quite as much today either. :-(

Ron -

I knew there was something that I liked about you!

It is a sport that is admittedly hard to watch sometimes, however, EURO 2008 has showcased some absolutely incredible talent, skill and athletic ability.

Ron -

I knew there was something that I liked about you!

It is a sport that is admittedly hard to watch sometimes, however, EURO 2008 has showcased some absolutely incredible talent, skill and athletic ability.

titansoccer, it is possible to get beyond the point of difficult to watch. In the European and World Cup elimination matches, ties are not allowed. That means that as the game goes on the tension is heightened. We saw it in the Turkey-Croatia game and in the Netherlands-Russia game. A late goal is hard to counter, but then again, it happens. Extension time = more pressure and excitement. And then  . . . dare I mention the goal kicks to decide the game. The tension does not get more intense than that! How can you (not referring to you personally, Titansoccer) not love to watch this game?

But as Terry said, it lives off of the intensity of the fans. If you have nothing at stake, it is hard to imagine what it is like to watch a game where you do. Until the U.S. can put together a serious contender, many Americans will never know what it feels like to cheer on your team.

National pride is wrapped up in this sport for many people! The U.S., though, is too intent on what is happening within its borders to really see the international scope of games. Where else would the World Series of something happen entirely within a set of national boundaries?

You can only imagine how important it was for Canada to win at hockey in the Salt Lake Olympics. Most other countries wrap their identity around soccer in that fashion, I think.

So, although it is great to watch soccer played at such a high level, it is the involvement of my team, Germany, that maintains its draw on me most.

I agree with you ron. I don't mind watching international soccer as long as it ends in kicks.

I agree with you ron. I don't mind watching international soccer as long as it ends in kicks.

Dr., you got it! I can't handle regular season league games because they don't have to be decided. They can indeed be a bit boring (as Titansoccer pointed out). The game could end in a tie. But international games that have to be decided are nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat type of events!

Anyways, Germany is in the final, so the weekend promises to hold a little excitement yet (in addition to Canada Day activities on July 1 that is :-D).