Ryan Groth joins Kernels from Orem

Mike Minyard

Ryan Groth joins Kernels from Orem

06/20/08

Full Story: http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3663875

The Cedar Rapids Kernels and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announce today that outfielder Ryan Groth will join the Kernels from the Orem Owlz of the Pioneer League.

Groth was selected by the Angels in the 22nd round of the 2008 Free Agent Draft out of Oral Roberts University. The native of Delray Beach FL, played three games for the Owlz, batting .545 (6-11) with two doubles, a triple and 6 RBI.

Groth arrives in Cedar Rapids today and will be available and in uniform for tonight's 7 pm game with the Quad Cities River Bandits. With today's transactions, the Kernels roster stands at 25 active players with three players on the disabled list.

Glad that Ryan is seeing some instant success, but sad that he won't return to the Eagles next year.  Do we know which players have signed from this year's team?  In particular, did Ben Petralli and other underclassmen sign or decide to return?

That really surprises me about Ryan - thought we be seeing him in vegas and navy for several seasons.  I wonder what his motivation was to go with the draft :|.

Not only that, but which would you rather be - a Golden Eagle:

golden-eagle-2630.jpg

Or a Kernel:

corn.jpg

Being a Junior he still had options, including returning for his senior year.  I'm sure that the Angels threw some money at Ryan to get him out of school.  With Seniors, they don't have an option but to go Pro.  They get those guys relatively cheaply from what I understand.

Being a Junior he still had options, including returning for his senior year.  I'm sure that the Angels threw some money at Ryan to get him out of school.  With Seniors, they don't have an option but to go Pro.  They get those guys relatively cheaply from what I understand.

I keep forgetting, Bogus, that he was a junior.  For some reason I had it in my mind that he was a freshman, and I keep making that mental error.  It makes a little more sense, considering that he was a junior.