Rockies call up Bernier!!!

Titansoccer8

Rockies call up infielder Bernier

By Troy E. Renck

The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 06/17/2008 12:16:44 PM MDT

Looking to add bench depth as they await shortstop Troy Tulowitzki's return to the lineup, the Rockies have called up infielder Doug Bernier from Triple-A Colorado Springs.

Bernier replaces catcher Edwin Bellorin on the roster. Bellorin joined the big-league club for two days while Yorvit Torrealba served a two-game suspension for fighting.

Bernier is considered a hardnosed player with strong fundamentals. He hit .225 with five home runs and 18 RBIs in 54 games with the Sky Sox.

"When they told me I was going up, I had to pinch myself. I couldn't really believe it was happening," Bernier said today of his first call-up. "I wanted to get on the plane right away, before they changed their mind."

Bernier boarded a plane in Tucson this morning and flew to Denver. He'll join the Rockies for tonight's game against the Cleveland Indians at Coors Field.

His stay is expected to be short as Tulowitzki is expected to rejoin the club soon, possibly as early as Friday.

"I don't care if it's just one day, it's an absolute dream come true," Bernier said.

Another potential roster decision is looming in the bullpen as left-handed reliever Micah Bowie returns from his rehab assignment and is reevaluated by the Rockies.

Great news for Doug and ORU...good things keep happening to ORU!

who were they?

Wild guess:  Mike Moore, Todd Burns, Keith Miller, Keith Lockhart, Tom Nieto?

+1 for big brother!... 8-)

Watching Bernier tonight get his first big league action...

He just had his last at-bat in the bottom of the 8th.  He went 0-4 with one strikeout, two groundouts and one lineout.  The announcers were really pulling for him and nothing but positive things to say about the young man, "who played his college ball in Tulsa at Oral Roberts".  They said that he received the call up for his reputation of having an extremely strong infield glove...very reliable in the field.  I think the Rockies are really looking for some of what they had last year, and that was strong, dependable defense.  Losing Tulo and Matsui have hurt...they also said that Bernier has a strong swing and above average power for the position.

All in all, a pretty positive outing for Doug...he even was part of the Play of the Game on a nice tag on an attempted steal.

Watching Bernier tonight get his first big league action...

He just had his last at-bat in the bottom of the 8th.  He went 0-4 with one strikeout, two groundouts and one lineout.  The announcers were really pulling for him and nothing but positive things to say about the young man, "who played his college ball in Tulsa at Oral Roberts".  They said that he received the call up for his reputation of having an extremely strong infield glove...very reliable in the field.  I think the Rockies are really looking for some of what they had last year, and that was strong, dependable defense.  Losing Tulo and Matsui have hurt...they also said that Bernier has a strong swing and above average power for the position.

All in all, a pretty positive outing for Doug...he even was part of the Play of the Game on a nice tag on an attempted steal.

It doesn't hurt that George Frazier is the color commentator of the Rockies' FSN Rocky Mountain broadcast team and is a great friend of ORU Baseball. 

Speaking of George, the Mrs. & I had the chance to watch several Rockies broadcasts while vacationing in Colorado last month.  That man can talk!!  He is well-suited for his vocation.  I find his stories at the Diamond Dinners to be subdued at times compared to what he talks about on cable television.  Not meant as a bad thing, but some of his stories would not be suitable for an ORU event.  I still like him as our emcee.

George Frazier wasn't calling the game lastnight...and for some reason, he hasn't been calling many this season.  I don't think I've heard him on any of the games I've watched this year. 

It's possible that George may be feeding the crew some good information, however, I think it even speaks more volume when the other guys are talking about him.

They also have a really nice picture of Bernier making a force tag and throw in the Denver Post today.  I am going to scan it later tonight and place it on the board. 

stupid question...how the heck do I insert a picture? 

I've used the icon and the attach file under the additional options and it isn't working.