Tim Russert's passing

Old Titan

Really stunned and saddened by the passing today of NBC's Tim Russert.

Really loved his work on "Meet The Press", plus his devotion to his hometown Buffalo Bills was legendary.  I got a kick out his occasional interviews with Secretary of State Connie Rice, when it was obvious all they wanted to talk about was NFL football.  When Paul Tagliabue retired, he showed Rice several clips where she was on record as saying her ultimate goal was not to be President of the United States, but Commissioner of the NFL, and pressed her about taking the job.

Just a great guy - he will definitely be missed in my house on Sunday mornings...  :cry:

Well said, OT.  While my political leanings were counter to his, I always admired him for asking tough questions to all of his guests - regardless of party.  He was also a man of faith, and was not afraid to speak openly of it.  He seemed like a truly great person. 

A few years ago he wrote the book, "Big Russ and Me", which was an immensely enjoyable read to me.  Although occurring on opposite coasts, Tim's upbringing was similar to my own, and the commonality really touched me.  I wanted SO BADLY to write to Tim at that time and tell him of the remarkable similarities, but never quite got to it  - but many others did!  I heard today that he received 60,000 letters in response to "Big Russ and Me", which he edited and published in a second book, "Wisdom of our Fathers".  I'm going to have to check that one out.

Tim Russert seemed like a decent man who loved his family and had a strong faith. While I did not share his politics, I did appreciate his attempt to be evenhanded in his approach to the power brokers. He seemed to ask the tough questions that I would have asked if I was in his chair.... but he did it graciously and most times without any rancor. He did not let the elites intimidate him. I saw him when he was in Tulsa recently and came away impressed by his openness, lack of pretension and intellect.

I am praying for his family tonight because they have lost a husband and a father....

Russert was an interrogator with a smile :-D on his face. 

There wasn't a meannness to his grilling. 

But, you had to stand up to your own words.

I think that was something that made him unique.

You could disagree agreeablely. 

That's what the news media and Washington are missing.

I'll miss his insightful thoughts and questions.