Michael Hollimon Called up to Detroit Tigers

ORU Big Brother

Hollimon Gets the Call from Detroit

TULSA—Former Oral Roberts University standout Michael Hollimon was called up to the Detroit Tigers on Friday to fill avoid as the utility infielder, after the Tigers placed veteran infielder Ramon Santiago on the 15-day disabled list.

With the promotion, Hollimon becomes ORU’s 15th Major Leaguer and the second former Golden Eagle currently active in the Big Leagues. San Francisco Giants catcher Steve Holm (2000-01) is in his rookie season after winning a roster spot in Spring Training.

The 2005 Mid-Continent Conference Player and Newcomer of the Year, Hollimon was batting .250 with 12 home runs and 21 RBI in 44 games as the lead-off hitter for the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens. Hollimon, playing mostly second base, has also registered 11 doubles and three triples for Toledo, compiling a .538 slugging-percentage.

He sustained a shoulder injury while diving to make a play at third base during a Major League Spring Training game, and missed the first three weeks of the season.

An accomplished hitter in the Minors, Hollimon owns a .274 career batting average in 376 career Minor League games. He made the Double-A Eastern League post-season All-Star team in 2007 after batting .282-14-76 with the Erie Seawolves. Hollimon was ranked by Baseball America as the top defensive second baseman in the Eastern League in ‘07 and entered 2008 as Detroit’s fourth-best Minor League prospect.

Hollimon began his collegiate career at Texas (2002-04), helping the Longhorns to consecutive College World Series championships in 2003 and 2004. He transferred to ORU prior to the 2005 season and made an immediate impact on the Golden Eagles.

In 62 games for ORU, Hollimon batted .304 with 14 home runs and 55 RBI. He added 15 doubles and 26 stolen bases while manning shortstop and helping ORU to the Mid-Con regular-season and tournament championships and an NCAA Regional appearance. He was a 16th round draft choice of the Tigers that spring.

On May 21, Baseball America ran a feature story on Hollimon and his ascent through Detroit’s Minor League system. “Going up and playing for Rob Walton was the best thing that could have happened for me,” Hollimon told BA of his time at ORU. “He's just an unbelievable person—not just a coach. His credentials speak for themselves, but he's just a great person. He and the other coaches there helped me out so much I could never thank them enough."

Hollimon and the Tigers open a four-game home series against the Cleveland Indians on Friday at Comerica Park.

--ORU--

Tigers prospect gets big league callup

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Infield prospect Michael Hollimon is headed to Comerica Park for his Major League debut, while Denny Bautista is headed back there for the first time in a month, as the Tigers made a series of roster moves ahead of this weekend's series against Cleveland.

The Tigers purchased Hollimon's contract from Triple-A Toledo to take the place of utility infielder Ramon Santiago, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a separated left shoulder. Hollimon makes his first trip to the big leagues having hit .250 with the Mud Hens to go with 12 home runs, 11 doubles and 21 RBIs in 184 at-bats.

Full Story: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=det

Versatile Hollimon joins Tigers

Opportunities could be hard to find for rookie utility man

By Jason Beck / MLB.com 

• Hollimon's Minor League statistics

DETROIT -- Michael Hollimon was originally a shortstop in the farm system before converting to second base full-time. He played both positions in the Arizona Fall League, and he even played a little bit of left field.

Hollimon is used to playing several different positions, which makes utility work a good fit. The challenge now isn't where he'll play in Detroit, but the frequency with which he'll play.

Versatile Hollimon joins Tigers

Great news! Maybe we could get Hollimon or Holm back for the Diamond Dinner next year.

Hollimon received his first big league action last night ... replacing Edgar Renteria at shortstop in the ninth inning of an 8-2 loss to the Indians ... he also fouled out to third in his first at-bat in the bottom half of the inning.

It looks like the Tigers 3rd baseman Brandon Inge may play at catcher next year for the Tigers.  If that happens, maybe it would open up an infield position for Michael Hollimon.

---Brandon Inge looks as though he could be the Tigers' No. 1 catcher in 2009. After he caught Justin Verlander's complete-game victory Wednesday, Verlander remarked that Inge "looks great" behind the plate. In his next start, Friday night, Inge caught the Tigers' first shutout victory this year. "Everyone on the planet knows that third base is my favorite spot," Inge said. "I could catch every day, if that's what they need. I'd be more than glad to do it. I like this team. I like it here in Detroit. It's always been home to me. I want to stay here."---

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/54214

• 2 weeks later...

Hollimon got the start today against the Cardinals.  The game is on right now on Cox Ch. 3 for you local guys.

One reason why Michael played today is because Brandon Inge was put on the 15-day DL due to a muscle injury that he aggravated while adjusting a pillow for his son, who sleeps in bed with Brandon and his wife.  This is definitely an injury cause which I have never heard before.  That pillow must be really heavy....

I hope this opens up more playing time for Michael over the next couple weeks.  You have to scroll down through a few other topics in order to find this story.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb#

For the past three weeks or so, the rigors of baseball couldn't aggravate Brandon Inge's side injury enough for him to be placed on the disabled list. What those rigors couldn't accomplish, a pillow did. "It was the stupidest, most freakish thing," Inge said Wednesday, explaining why he had just been placed on the 15-day DL with the pulled side muscle (oblique) he suffered 3 1/2 weeks ago......

Well Mike played well today getting two hits.  He tried to stretch his last hit into a trip in the bottom of the ninth, but the Cardinals had a perfect relay to get him out.  I don't think Mike got a good turn around second base, and I think that had more to do with him getting thrown out.  It was pretty exciting to see an ORU guy making a big play.  He looks like he belongs.

Hopefully he will get some more at-bats now and we'll start seeing him get some consistent playing time.

Holliman had a nice play at short a few nights ago that made ESPN's top 10 plays at #8!