baseball draft

Ting

Wasnt the MLB draft today? What ORU players/recruits were taken?

the draft starts today and goes on for about a week it seems

most of the later rounds are not public knowledge just a phone call to the draftee

I did not see any ORU players taken in the first six rounds (202 selections).  More players will start being selected in the AM.

I think Van Kirk was

Not that I saw (and it wasn't reported on the news tonight).  Do you know what round you think he was drafted?

Well - I caught the very end of a sports news cast. They had him listed under an OSU player...but to be honest I'm not quite sure.

Round 18  533  Tampa Bay Rays  David Genao  C  Oral Roberts

Round 18  559  Los Angeles Angels  Adam Younger  SS  Oral Roberts

haven't seen their names yet.

Gilbert Mesquite graduate Ronnie Welty was drafted for the second time in his career, taken in the 20th round by Baltimore after a good year at Chandler-Gilbert Community College. He has committed to Oral Roberts next year.

Round 21  639  Toronto Blue Jays  Brian Van Kirk  C/OF  Oral Roberts

Round 22  679  Los Angeles Angels  Ryan Groth  OF  Oral Roberts

Round 26  773  Tampa Bay Rays  Michael Jarman  LHP  Oral Roberts

Round 30  917  Colorado Rockies  Carlos Luna  RHP  Oral Roberts

Round 33  993  Texas Rangers  Ben Petralli  C  Calif.

Round 18  533  Tampa Bay Rays  David Genao  C  Oral Roberts

Interesting that the Rays drafted two ORU players.  Brian Hickman, former ORU player and coach, is a first year scout for Tampa Bay.  He was also at the Lincoln Regional last weekend.

I'd be really interested to see if Tampa drafted the center fielder from UC-Irvine.  I know the scouts are very high on him. 

I'd be really interested to see if Tampa drafted the center fielder from UC-Irvine.  I know the scouts are very high on him. 

Ollie Linton was taken #404 by the Arizona Diamondbacks

School Record Eight Golden Eagles Selected on Day Two of MLB Draft 

TULSA — A school-record eight Oral Roberts University baseball players were selected on  the second day of the Major League Baseball First Year Player Draft. David Genao (Newark, N.J.), Adam Younger (Cape Coral, Fla.), Brian Van Kirk (Southwest Ranches, Fla.), Ryan Groth (Boca Raton, Fla.), Michael Jarman (Stigler, Okla.), Carlos Luna (Bakersfield, Calif.), Ben Petralli (Weatherford, Texas) and Brendan Duffy (Glendale, Ariz.) all heard their names called on Friday.

Genao, a senior catcher, was the highest drafted Golden Eagle on Tuesday going to the Tampa Bay Rays as the first pick of the 18th round. He was the 533rd overall selection.

A first-team All-Summit League pick and a member of the Lincoln Regional all-tournament team, Genao batted .347 with 10 home runs and 55 RBI in splitting time between third base and catcher.

Younger, a senior shortstop, joined Genao in the 18th round, going 559th overall to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Drafted on the strength of his outstanding defensive skills, Younger appeared in 48 games last season and batted .235 with three home runs and 24 RBI, while posting a .946 fielding percentage.

A 2008 Collegiate Baseball First-Team All-American and the Summit League Player of the Year, Van Kirk was selected in the 21st round by Toronto. The senior catcher/outfielder enjoyed one of the finest individual seasons in school history last year, batting .414 with 18 home runs and 74 RBI.

Groth, a junior outfielder, was taken in the 22nd round by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Groth earned first-team All-Summit honors after an impressive campaign which saw him hit .351 with 20 doubles, nine home runs and 48 RBI in 61 games.

Jarman, a senior left-handed pitcher, will likely be a minor league teammate of Genao’s after being taken in the 26th round by Tampa Bay. A first-team All-Summit honoree, Jarman posted an 11-3 record and 4.24 ERA. He struck out 95 batters in 102.0 innings.

Luna, a right-handed pitcher, enjoyed a stellar 2008, earning Collegiate Baseball Second-Team All-America and Summit League Pitcher of the Year honors. Luna went 13-1 with a 3.35 ERA. In 99.1 innings, Luna struck out 99 batters.

Petralli, a junior catcher, heard his name called for the fifth time after being drafted as a high school senior and three times in junior college. This time, Petralli was selected in the 33rd round by Texas. In 2008, Petralli batted .354 with nine home runs and 70 RBI in 60 games, earning Summit League Newcomer of the Year honors. Petralli’s father, Geno, spent nine of his 12 MLB seasons with the Rangers.

Duffy, a three-time first-team all-Summit selection, was a 41st round choice by the Arizona Diamondbacks. Duffy batted .339 with two home runs and 24 RBI in 54 games a senior, adding 16 doubles and 16 stolen bases.

Three 2009 signees also were selected. Ronnie Welty, an outfielder from Chandler-Gilbert (Ariz.) College, was taken in the 20th round by Baltimore. Brent Klinger, a right-handed pitcher from Glendale (Ariz.) Community College, was a 21st-round selection by Pittsburgh. Taylor Stanton, a right-handed pitcher from Diablo Valley (Calif.) College was selected in the 26th round by Seattle.

2008 ORU Major League Baseball Draft Selections

• David Genao, Sr., C (18th round, Tampa Bay)

• Adam Younger, Sr., SS (18th round, Los Angeles Angels)

• Brian Van Kirk, Sr., OF/C (21st round, Toronto)

• Ryan Groth, Jr., OF (22nd round, Los Angeles Angels)

• Michael Jarman, Sr., LHP (26th round, Tampa Bay)

• Carlos Luna, Sr., RHP (30th round, Colorado)

• Ben Petralli, Jr., C (33rd round, Texas)

• Brendan Duffy, Sr., OF (41st round, Arizona)

2008 ORU Major League Baseball Draft Selections

• Ryan Groth, Jr., OF (22nd round, Los Angeles Angels)

• Ben Petralli, Jr., C (33rd round, Texas)

2009 ORU Signees Major League Baseball Draft Selections

• Ronnie Welty, So., Chandler-Gilbert (Ariz.) College, OF (20th round, Baltimore)

• Brent Klinger, So., Glendale (Ariz.) Community College, RHP (21st round, Pittsburgh)

• Taylor Stanton, So., Diablo Valley (Calif.) College, RHP (26th round, Seattle)

It will be interesting to see who from this list will be on the ORU roster come the fall semester of 2008.  I can see Ryan Groth potentially going (although I would love to see him increase his stock in next year's draft by staying at ORU).  With a 33rd round draft by Petralli, it's possible that we could see Ben back for his senior year (wishful thinking?).  The JC guys coming to ORU will be based on the signing bonus (if any) that they can get (which may not be a lot).

Round 21  639  Toronto Blue Jays  Brian Van Kirk  C/OF  Oral Roberts

Round 22  679  Los Angeles Angels  Ryan Groth  OF  Oral Roberts

Round 26  773  Tampa Bay Rays  Michael Jarman  LHP  Oral Roberts

Round 30  917  Colorado Rockies  Carlos Luna  RHP  Oral Roberts

Round 33  993  Texas Rangers  Ben Petralli  C  Calif.

Now that Brian Van Kirk is in the Blue Jay organization I will be able to cheer for him with an undivided heart. Hope to see him in the bigs sometime soon(er or later)!