Day 1 - Midwest Track & Field Regionals

Bogus Smith

LINCOLN, Neb. – Three individual titles at The Summit League Outdoor Championships was not enough for junior Rachel Talbert. The Newton, Kan., native continued to dominate in the throws events, winning the discus throw at the Midwest Regionals on the University of Nebraska campus Friday afternoon.

Talbert threw 176-00 to win the event, almost a foot farther than Texas Tech’s D’Andra Carter. Talbert will compete in the shot put tomorrow afternoon.

Senior Andretti Bain hopes to make an appearance in the 400m dash at the NCAA Outdoor Championships after winning a national championship in the 400m at the NCAA Indoor’s. Bain placed first in the prelims of the 400m this afternoon, racing to a 46.07 finish. The Bahamas native will compete in the finals of the event Saturday evening.

Freshman Marvin Bonde had a standout day for the Golden Eagles in the 100m dash. Bonde placed third running 10.43 in the prelims to qualify for Saturday’s finals.

Others that competed for ORU but did not make the cut for finals was freshman Whitney Mills. Mills, who earned all-conference honors in the 100m and 200m at the conference meet, placed 24th in the 100m, running 12.13. Senior CJ Greene jumped 6-11 in the high jump to tie for 14th place.

Senior English Clark will compete in the women’s triple jump competition on Saturday, while freshman Jonah Lagat will race in the men’s 1,500m run.

We got to see Andretti run the finals since we were in Lincoln.  He was supposed to run at 4:30, but we got there at 5:20 or so and he hadn't run yet.  It was fun to see him get 2nd.

Then we went over and walked around on the football field.  Great time.

We got to see Andretti run the finals since we were in Lincoln.  He was supposed to run at 4:30, but we got there at 5:20 or so and he hadn't run yet.  It was fun to see him get 2nd.

Then we went over and walked around on the football field.  Great time.

I did the same thing...  It was a lot of fun that day.  I wish we could have won our baseball game a little quicker so we could have seen more of our athletes compete.  I had the chance to watch us compete in several events on Friday.

I'd imagine that the outdoor championships will be televised by someone, so that should be fun to watch when our two athletes compete