YMCA

Texasgrip

Not sure if ORU-OUT still exist.

(Steps up to soap box):

I love ORU cause it was so instrumental in changing my life, but I feel that the school could do a better job with providing opportunities for students that are struggling with a myriad of issues to receive help in a safe environment while they are there. A lot of these issues that are prevalent among Christians everywhere are taboo at ORU. The administration has attempted to address the issues a couple of different ways, but I'm not sure how successful it has been.

I had a really close friend at ORU that served in many leadership roles on campus, and when he graduated with his degree in theology he told me he was "coming out". I was shocked and almosted cried as he told me how he would spend nights crying and feeling tormented because he didn't know why he felt the way he did, yet he couldn't go to anyone with what was going on with him. He knew what the Bible said about homosexuality (very intelligent when it came to biblical literature), but seemed to think he could allow his experiences to determine how he lived his faith. We're still cool, and go to lunch when he's in town, but I know there are other students out there (because we're human) that are dealing with the same things.

I'm not blaming ORU that my friend didn't get help when he needed it. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own choices. ORU has great programs for students to get involved in that develop leadership ability, they have opportunities for missions and community outreach (those can be life changing in and of themselves), and all ORU student know how amazing the chapel services are. I just feel that there is room and a real need for improvement in how open the atmosphere can be for students to get help without the fear of being found out and suspended. Especially for those students that REALLY want to change.

(Stepping down from soap box).

I whole heartedly agree.

However, based on your statement, I'm surprised you posted that link from Equality Ride. I could be wrong, but that organization doesn't seem to be in support of giving any students help with homosexual struggles. They seem to be more into the business of fighting the struggle to be accepted rather than fighting each person's individual struggle with those thoughts and feelings. I don't personally agree with that.

I had a friend that was gay in college and he actually went into counseling at ORU. I think counseling is good. However, while I don't know what went on in counseling exactly, I don't think ORU handled it all that well. According to my friend, homosexual acts are punishable, but as long as you've stayed away from the actual act and are open and willing to change then ORU is willing to counsel you. I just wish they did a better job of counseling...even perhaps bringing in outside Christian counselors for that one particular issue. Also, I'm pretty sure that an RA would be in jeopardy of getting his position stripped from him simply by telling someone in admin that he struggled with homosexual thoughts. It depends on the situation, but I often think that's the wrong route to take.

And to think this convo simply started by discussing YMCA....

And now this thread has a whole new life. I tried to stay away from it, but i just got fed up. The day before it started I did a google for "Oral Roberts University Basketball" and a link to the article was listed with the note 'To the Students and Alumni or ORU'. I do not support the site or it's mission at all. I posted the link to show how trivial the YMCA song was in comparison to the real issues that the administration will be faced with if this group decides to come on campus.

As far as the counseling issue goes, all of ORU's counselors in their Counseling Center are liscenced thereapist with a few Christian Counseling grad students doing internships. Anything that is said in those sessions is kept confidential (including breaking honor code issues). The problem is that no one really knows the counseling center even exist. They are in an obscure part of the campus, and it's never advertised. I didn't know we had a center until my junior year. Even then many students don't know the confidential policy they have.

that's true. Only reason I knew about it all through college was because of a homosexual friend and another dealing with bulimia (sp?) who both went there.

As far as the group coming on campus, in my limited knowledge, I think the admin doesn't really tolerate much. Since its a private campus, it would be very simple to remove a group like this from campus if the admin chose to do so. According to Jeff McKissack of ORU OUT, he tried multiple times to have a sit down with P-Rob and was denied. I think he was granted some phone calls with the Dean of Students. ORU OUT was attempting to be granted permission to donate around 100 pieces of literature/books to the library, but with no success. However, unlike Bob Jones University, there is no rule saying these groups aren't allowed on campus or at basketball games or chapel (again in my limited knowledge) but any type of banners or demonstrations or advertising (t-shirts) are strictly forbidden.

I was in the process of starting an 'underground' newspaper with a friend in college my junior year to counteract some of the censorship around campus and that's how I found some of this stuff out and was able to meet with Jeff. An informative story on ORU OUT was going to be the first front page news piece that we ran with but due to lack of funds, and the realization that we could get in huge trouble if we were found out, we backed off.

You're probably right about it being forbidden, but i saw where they were able to get onto the Naval Academy in D.C. They were strictly warned to not come or risk being arrested, and they still went with the attempt to get publicity. The academy let thim in because they didn't want a big media fiasco, but used the academy rules on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to really keep 'em hemmed in. Still, I hope our admins are prepared to deal with this if something arises.