YMCA

Texasgrip

Why do we continue to play the gay anthem that is "YMCA" and cheer wildly as our children run to rally around ELI?

I love the celebration, but we've got to find a better tune!!!

Guest EagleBackr
Why do we continue to play the gay anthem that is "YMCA" and cheer wildly as our children run to rally around ELI?

I love the celebration, but we've got to find a better tune!!!

...in response to your request, the Pep Band will now play "Hallelujah, It's Raining Men!" during timeouts. Plus a medley of Bette Midler, Celine Dion, and Cher tunes. Satisfied? :shock:

I used to feel so gay spinning around in circles in the middle of the court doing the motions to that dumb song. It's horrible.

Basically you need a song that kids can get into that has motions. I'd just use the chicken dance song or whatever it is that we've used before for other stuff in lieu of YMCA.

Personally I prefer the Chicken Dance anyway. I like the music, especially as it is played by the ORU pep band, and it's just as cute for the kids to do the dance. I guess it's no biggie either way.

Basically you need a song that kids can get into that has motions.

How about we do "Heads and Shoulders, Knees and Toes" at the 16 minute mark and have all of the old people come out to mid-court and do the motions and the kids can watch them??!!

I used to feel so gay spinning around in circles in the middle of the court doing the motions to that dumb song. It's horrible.

I've always hated that song, and it has nothing to do with feeling "gay", whatever that means. It is a disco song. Need I say more :?:

Guest Rob Marshall

Agree, it would be refreshing to see something different, however traditions are important. Sadly at ORU, there aren't many traditions. Taking away the YMCA would leave a void as it relates to "on-court/in-game" kid involvement. Clearly the YMCA's popularity hasn't diminished given the continued large number of kids (and parents) who participate. If it isn't broke, why change it ... but I must admit I've grown a bit bored with the "show."

The new QuikTrip "Donkey Kick" promotion was creative and fun, and I also really like the cheerleader "flag run" performed to the William Tell Overature. Indiana University has done a similar cheerleader flag run for decades (I watched it growing up at Hoosier games in the 70's and 80's) to "Will Tell" and Oklahoma State started it in the last few years.

My sincere apologies for using the word 'gay' in place of awkward. I know that's offensive to some and no longer PC. It's a bad habit.

My sincere apologies for using the word 'gay' in place of awkward. I know that's offensive to some and no longer PC. It's a bad habit.

But I meant what I said...the song was truly performed by a known homosexual group and the lyrics were always in question as to their double-meaning.

I just don't think it should be considered "harmless, fun for the kids" when a song like that promotes an obvious agenda...then again, when I was a student at ORU and played bass in the pep band, I was repeatedly "shut down" for playing Another One Bites The Dust when an opposing team member fouled out. The refs didn't like to hear Three Blind Mice either...!

You guys have too little on your minds if you are worrying about what song they play at the first media time out in the 2nd half. So what if Eli feels awkward and a handful of people think they are promoting an agenda. THE KIDS LOVE IT, THEREFORE THE PARENTS LOVE IT, THEREFORE THEY KEEP COMING BACK. The YMCA is not for you; it is for that family fan base that TU just can't pull in. Ok, RK, you can Defend the beloved university that happens not to be your alma mater. But who want to take their kids to the Reynolds Center where all they can do is BOOOOOO? The atmosphere under Phillps was rancid.

I don't like YMCA either. I vote for the Chicken Dance. Its a little more difficult, but a lot more fun. Of course, there is that bird flu thing to worry about.

I think we should bring back the Titans Train cheer. There are the same number of letters in Eagles so it would work. E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (clap, clap) . . .

Overall, ORU's timeout entertainment is great. I have been to both Hornets games so far, and ORU's stuff is way better.

I'm coming to the game on Saturday. Unfortunately, I won't get to see my Eagles again until they go down to Norman. Oh how I would love to beat OU.

Grip - I agree with you. The song was definitely intended with a homosexual agenda and I don't think anything with that agenda belongs at ORU. As anal as admin is about other stuff, I don't understand why they use it. And personally, it just annoys me to no end.

I was just apologizing for using "gay" to describe it, rather than by more proper means. That word offends some people when its used in that way.

However...it is just a song and I'm only ranting about it. I don't lose any sleep over it.

Grip - I agree with you. The song was definitely intended with a homosexual agenda and I don't think anything with that agenda belongs at ORU. As anal as admin is about other stuff, I don't understand why they use it. And personally, it just annoys me to no end.

I was just apologizing for using "gay" to describe it, rather than by more proper means. That word offends some people when its used in that way.

However...it is just a song and I'm only ranting about it. I don't lose any sleep over it.

I remember the smirks and whispers when the Village People were popular and thought it was just gossip. If it's not, then it certainly is curious that it would be used at ORU home games :wink:

Political correctness has nothing to do with it for me. I object to labels being used carelessly for people or things that don't fit the label. If the label fits, then I was wrong.

But it still has nothing to do with why I hate the song. :)

While I am sure everyone has an opinion as to whether or not we should play YMCA, I think and hope ORU is more concerned what could happen in 2006 more than what we play during a timeout at a ball game: http://www.equalityride.com/student_stories.php?school_id=36 (this should probably be moved to the general message board).

Appears to be an organization with the same goals as ORU OUT. I emailed the founder, Jeff McKissick, a couple times in the context of a friendly debate about those type of issues. I actually met him at one point my junior year. vcboy- I notice their website is disassembled, do you know if they still exist?