Projected Starting Five vs Valpo.

vcboy2000

With Tutt out of the line up I can see several options that the coaching staff have to fill his position tomorrow night. While I am sure all 8 active players will play alot, here is my take of the starting 5:

1. JB (How Fowlkes fills in at the point guard position this game will be critical)

2. Moses (The only other active shooting guard that can shoot.)

3. Larry Owens (Once again we will need his supplimental scoring to help with the loss of Tutt.)

4. Caleb Green (Drew won't make the same mistake WIU coach made in not doubling Green.)

5. Mickey M (Needs to stay out of foul trouble so we don't have to go to the bench too early).

All our reserves are valuable this game. Yemi, Chello, and Folkes need solid efforts when they get in the game.

The more I've thought about the lineup we say Saturday night of JB, Green, Owens, Vealy and Ehambe, the better I like it. There is tremendous athletic potential in that group. At the same time, I think that Mickey will play a key role in containing Oppland, who game in and game out is Valpo's top scorer. So I agree, we need to keep Mickey in the game and out of foul trouble. He's critical to the game tonight.

Another thing critical to us having any hope for winning tonight is perimeter defense. Valpo's success so far this season has depended heavily on three point shooting, and we have to deny open looks to their sharpshooters.

Per the article in the newspaper, we will start the following:

Michalec

Green

Bluitt

Owens

Ogunoye

Expect to see Ehambe, Fowlkes and Vealy off the bench early and often. Sutton will tinker with the lineup to see what works best.

I'm a little surprised that there is little to no discussion of tonight's game on the Valpo board. They've predicted scores, but really haven't discussed matchups, strengths, weaknesses, game plans or anything.

It's amazingly quiet over there. Do you suppose the regular Valpo posters are actually WORKING, like I should be doing???

I actually think this is not as bad as it seems to have Tutt out of the lineup prior to tourney. This will give Fowlkes, Ogunye, and Moses good playing time along with Veely. Maybe Tutt will work on his shot while on the sidelines. :wink:

Not sure why Ogunye is starting. He is NOT a guard. He can't dribble, and he can barely shoot. The only thing he has going for him is his hustle and defense. I think this will put a lot of pressure for most of our outside scoring to come from JB which is not good. Larry Owens must have a really big game!

Yemi started against OU and played good defense on the perimeter against Everett. As I said before, look for Sutton to try all kinds of player combinations to see what works. Don't be surprised to see Ehambe, Fowlkes or Riouse come off the bench quickly.

I think Yemi might be able to contain Oppland... he's longer and much quicker.

I suspect that Yemi is starting in an effort to contain the shooting guards of Valpo. I think we'll see Yemi roaming the perimeter early in the game.

However . . . I think that Mickey will be on Oppland early, and if he either gets in foul trouble or isn't quick enough to stop Oppland, I think Yemi gets Oppland.

There's my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

Per the article in the newspaper, we will start the following:

Michalec

Green

Bluitt

Owens

Ogunoye

I would feel better with Chelo or Moses instead of Yemi, but we will have a larger lineup than schools are used to seeing us start with. Now they will be forced to try & match up to us, instead of the other way around.

Yemi has had some strong moments and we do have backup from the bench. By the time we hit conference tournament our backups will have had more game experience than normal, which should work to our advantage given their talent.

Guest EagleBackr
I'm a little surprised that there is little to no discussion of tonight's game on the Valpo board. They've predicted scores, but really haven't discussed matchups, strengths, weaknesses, game plans or anything.

It's amazingly quiet over there. Do you suppose the regular Valpo posters are actually WORKING, like I should be doing???

...you're giving them WAY too much credit in the analysis department. From what I've read on their board the last week, they seem much more interested in discussing their band and patting themselves on the back for their big home-and-home sweep of Longwood University. One of their own posters refered to our posters (seriously) as "Mensa-like". Sounds about right...

One of their own posters refered to our posters (seriously) as "Mensa-like". Sounds about right...

They don't spend much time over here do they?

...you're giving them WAY too much credit in the analysis department.

There used to be much more in the way of quality game analysis and discussion on their board.

In general, there seems to be less activity on the Valpo board than in the past.