Baseball America Chat

Irish333

I've been searching the net for anything I could find about our Regional.  It seems that Aaron Fitt believes that the initial matchup in game one will be Scott Gorgen vs. Jerry Sullivan.  However I also read that Coach Walton also stated that if the UCI lineup is made up of lefties, he might go with Jarmen. Nebraska has started their games early in the afternoon during the past couple of times they were in the regionals.

Q:  Javier from Santa Ana, Ca asks:

Is the Tyson Ross/ Brian Matusz the best pitching matchup in the regionals. And, will Long Beach State be able to avoid, Ross, Matusz, and Schreppers?

A:  Aaron Fitt: Considering Scheppers is on the shelf, it's safe to assume the Dirtbags got lucky, yes — although Justin Wilson is an awfully good pitcher in his own right, and I'd much rather face the ace from any other No. 4 seed than him, with the possible exception of UC Davis' Eddie Gamboa and Stony Brook's Tom Koehler. But to answer your other question, I do think Ross-Matusz is the best pitching matchup of the opening set of games, just ahead of Crow-Lynn. I'm also looking forward to Tim Murphy-Pat McAnaney, Bradley Holt-Steven Hensley and Scott Gorgen-Jerry Sullivan.

Also, one Husker stated that the stadium could pack as many as 8,000 on Saturday night. WOW!

I don't think a large crowd will daunt our Eagles.  At the Fayetteville regional, we had 8,000+ when playing the Razorbacks in our Super Regional run in 2006.  That was a pretty intimidating crowd and, fortunately, we don't have to hear the Huskers calling little Piggies all night long.

Irish, in that same chat with Aaron Fitt, another questioner asked this about the Lincoln Regional:

Q:  Brandon from Omaha asks:

What are Nebraska's chances of winning their regional, given their struggles of late, and advancing to a super (most likely in Baton Rouge)? Thanks

A:  Aaron Fitt: I like Nebraska's chances because the Huskers are just so very good at home, but UC Irvine isn't a great matchup for them. The Anteaters have a very similar style of play to Nebraska, except they do it better. I do like Nebraska's experience on the mound, though. And the Huskers probably won't have to face Scott Gorgen, who will probably start UCI's opener against Oral Roberts (if the Anteaters are smart — underestimating ORU would be a mistake). It should be a fun regional, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska or Irvine wins it.

Personally, I hope that UCI and NU both underestimate the depth and capabilities of our pitching and hitting.  I hope that we can hit both teams in the teeth before they know what hit them and hang on for the Sunday 6:05 game in the Winner's bracket.  I would like our chances of not being beaten twice in a row by the same team (it only happened once this season against Pepperdine).

Also, one Husker stated that the stadium could pack as many as 8,000 on Saturday night. WOW!

And we beat Wichita State twice in front of crowds of nearly 11k and eliminated them a few years back. Andrew Sanderson pitched amazingly for ORU. David Castillo hit a shot over the WSU scoreboard and bounced across the street. That was a fun regional. Can't wait for this regional to start. I really think this team can make a run, but obviously winning the game against Irvine is huge. Winning the first two games gives that team such an advantage that is hard to overcome even if the host is coming up from the loser's bracket.