Official sites announced

MrsSmith

The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records through Sunday, May 25, are as follows: Arizona State (45-11), Tempe, Ariz.; Cal State Fullerton (37-18 through Saturday, May 24), Fullerton, Calif.; Coastal Carolina (47-12), Conway, S.C.; Florida St. (48-10), Tallahassee, Fla.; Georgia (35-21-1), Athens, Ga.; Long Beach State (36-19; through Saturday, May 24), Long Beach, Calif.; LSU (43-16-1), Baton Rouge, La.; Miami (Fla.) (47-8); Coral Gables, Fla..; Michigan (45-12), Ann Arbor, Mich.; Nebraska (40-14-1), Lincoln, Neb.; North Carolina (46-12), Chapel Hill, N.C.; North Carolina State (38-20), Raleigh, N.C.; Oklahoma State (42-16), Stillwater, Okla.; Rice (42-13), Houston; Stanford (33-20-2), Stanford, Calif.; Texas A&M (43-16) College Station, Texas.

http://www.ncaa.com/baseball/article.aspx?id=250670

Nice find, Madame Bogus.

I think the surprise in that list is that Missouri failed to get a regional and Rice did, especially with Texas A&M also hosting just a short drive away from Houston in College Station.

One good line of thunderstorms down there could wipe out a day or night's worth of play in two regionals at once.

Most likely locations have to be Stillwater, College Station, and Lincoln (maybe Houston) ... unless we're shipped out somewhere.  I still think Michigan would be a good draw (not a very strong host school).

Most likely locations have to be Stillwater, College Station, and Lincoln (maybe Houston) ... unless we're shipped out somewhere.  I still think Michigan would be a good draw (not a very strong host school).

I've always been surprised we don't get sent North more often:  unlike most schools in the South (sorry, CB - we're "Southern" in this case), most of our conference members are northern schools, our conference headquarters are in Chicago, and the Field of 64 is always top-heavy with Southern schools, so some teams have to get sent outside the region to fill other brackets. 

It would seem like a natural for us to get sent some place like Lincoln or Ann Arbor...

It's interesting that Michigan was awarded a regional with an RPI of 36 and Long Beach State was as well with an RPI of 26.

Also, Arizona with an RPI of 7 and Georgia Tech with an RPI of 10 were not awarded sites.  It is always possible that they didn't bid for them, especially since Arizona State and Georgia did.

Doesn't the assignment of regionals have a lot to do with financial issues and who offers the most $$$ to host one?...you have to guarantee a certain amount of revenue, right?....would love to see us go north to Michigan...a great spot for ORU to take on Big Blue in Ann Arbor!... :-D

I'm sure $$$, venue size and potential attendance have a lot to do with the selections, in addition to record and RPI, but in the past it does seem that there are normally very few regional hosts that aren't also seeded #1 in their regional.

I think 2 years ago when we went to Arkansas for a regional, that Arkansas was the only #2 seed in the country that was hosting a regional.

I'm sure $$$, venue size and potential attendance have a lot to do with the selections, in addition to record and RPI, but in the past it does seem that there are normally very few regional hosts that aren't also seeded #1 in their regional.

I think 2 years ago when we went to Arkansas for a regional, that Arkansas was the only #2 seed in the country that was hosting a regional.

This article sheds a little light on the regional selection process ...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=422

Very insightful article....but this IS the NCAA we are talking about here...i still thing financial considerations are a big carrot....so, i guess ORU does not have the money to make a bid to host....do we even make a bid?...have we ever hosted a regional?....

Very insightful article....but this IS the NCAA we are talking about here...i still thing financial considerations are a big carrot....so, i guess ORU does not have the money to make a bid to host....do we even make a bid?...have we ever hosted a regional?....

JL Johnson Stadium hosted regionals in the late 70's and early 80's, but I don't believe that we have hosted a regional since 1981.  OT, as well as some others, would know that for sure. 

In today's selection process, money does talk.  ORU is not in a position to be able to guarantee/underwrite the bid ($50K minimum - probably a lot more to get selected) and the stadium size of JLJ (2,400 seats) is much smaller than what the NCAA is looking for today.  We would probably have to bid Drillers Stadium and hope for Arkansas, OSU, OU, WSU to be put in a Tulsa regional to make a financially successful event, if we were to bid.  Alternatively, we could do a joint bid with one of the schools mentioned, but when they can get the bids on their own, they don't need ORU to be in the mix.

I found it interesting in the Baseball America article about baseball regionals that Coastal Carolina received a regional bid even though their stadium only seats 2000 people.  They said that they will add additional bleachers.

The third regional in the Carolinas (along with Raleigh and Cary, N.C., where North Carolina will host) will take place in Conway, S.C., where Coastal Carolina will bring auxiliary bleachers to Charles Watson Stadium, which holds just 2,000 fans.

I'm surprised that they would receive a bid with that situation.  At JL Johnson, we would not have the ability to add extra seats because of the baseball building and the batting cages.  And parking would be a mess.  The only way to  host a regional would be at Drillers Stadium (old or new).

I found it interesting in the Baseball America article about baseball regionals that Coastal Carolina received a regional bid even though their stadium only seats 2000 people.  They said that they will add additional bleachers.

I'm surprised that they would receive a bid with that situation.  At JL Johnson, we would not have the ability to add extra seats because of the baseball building and the batting cages.  And parking would be a mess.  The only way to  host a regional would be at Drillers Stadium (old or new).

Seating capacity isn't the issue with bids... it's ticket revenue.  You can raise ticket prices.  Let's say you sell 1,000 all-sessions at $50... that's your $50,000 for the bid.  We would probably need to add some temporary elevated bleachers to the outfield if that is even possible with the trees.  We would also need to get one of those "GoVision" video trucks parked behind the fence so we could offer a video board.  Right now the temporary bleachers wouldn't be an option with all the construction around the stadium.

It would have been a mess this year to try to host.  It might be something in the future if we can improve greatly in a couple areas.  I saw some positives during the conference tournament that makes me a little more optimistic for the future.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but Conway is the  gateway to the Myrtle Beach area, second only to Disney World as the most popular driving destination in America (according to AAA).