Saturday's SUU ejections....

theeagleman5

Can someone who was at the game or in the know explain what happened that resulted in the ejections of the SUU starter and coach yesterday??....plus, from what i read, there was a lot of chirping going on from the T-Bird bench....what's the scoop???.... :-P

According to the article in the Tulsa World today, the pitcher for Southern Utah (Ryan Melling I think) was upset that Brian Van Kirk's home run (in the bottom of the 3rd inning which immediately followed another ORU 2-run homer) was called fair when he thought it was foul--from my vantage point it looked foul as well but it was really impossible to tell because it was so high above the fowl pole (Wings To Go).  So, in the top of the 4th inning, when a Southern Utah ball was called foul by the same 3rd base umpire, Ryan left the dugout and signalled fair to voice his displeasure with what he deemed as inconsistent umpiring.

Apparently the umpire threw the pitcher out of the game, so the SUU head coach gave the umpire all he could handle for about 2 minutes and he got thrown out of game.  The episode lasted for a long time and involved all the umpires.  I understand SUU's frustration, but it cost them their starting pitcher and their head coach in the most important game of the year.

Thanks for the info, jason....SUU was on the way to getting pounded anyway...maybe the coach and pitcher just wanted an to get out of there and get an early dinner..... :-D

If the Brian Van Kirk home run had been called a foul ball, then it would have only been 3-0.  The pitcher that they brought in to replace Ryan Melling never recorded an out and gave up 3 runs to extend the lead from 4-0 to 7-0. 

As it turns out, that ended up being a crucial part of the game that turned the tide in ORU's favor.

We would of won anyway, bro.....but yeah, i get your point...i guess SUU will whine about that all summer....we will just have to sweep them in 2009 when they come to Tulsa.... :-D

If the Brian Van Kirk home run had been called a foul ball, then it would have only been 3-0.  The pitcher that they brought in to replace Ryan Melling never recorded an out and gave up 3 runs to extend the lead from 4-0 to 7-0. 

As it turns out, that ended up being a crucial part of the game that turned the tide in ORU's favor.

From all indications, the tide was already coming in...  :wink: