Place Your Bets: Where Are We Going?

Old Titan

So, which regional are we going to get?

Stillwater?

Columbia, MO?

Lincoln, NE?

College Station, TX?

And why do you think we're going there?

And is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Personally, I want Stillwater, so I can go to all the games, but I'm not so sure that Columbia (Univ. of Missouri) or Lincoln (Univ. of Nebraska) might not be more "winnable" destinations.

Just don't send us to the West Coast, please.

I know the Cali players would enjoy seeing their families, and the coaches' wives would love going somewhere fun for a change, but the combination of arduous travel, tough competition, and family obligations might prove to be too distracting.

Most importantly, I wouldn't be able to go.  :wink:

I'd vote for Lincoln or Columbia personally.  I think the Cowboys are playing really well right now and they will be the team to get to the Super Regional out of their pool.  Teams like ORU will be catching the Huskers and Tigers at a good time right now, regardless of the venue.  If everything is clicking for the Eagles (pitching AND hitting), I like our chances at either of those regionals (plus we could get 100 - 200 fans to travel to those destinations).

From the recap of Conference Tournaments on the Baseball America site:

Summit

Ho, hum. Top-seeded Oral Roberts blanked Southern Utah 9-0 to claim its 11th straight conference championship in the Mid-Continent Conference-turned-Summit League. Business as usual for the Golden Eagles, who have a shot at a No. 2 seed in a regional. They were 37th in the RPI heading into Saturday’s action.

Distances to travel to regional sites:

Lincoln, NE              452 miles  7 hours  0 minutes

Columbia, MO          349 miles    5 hours 42 minutes

College Station, TX  442 miles    7 hours 25 minutes

Stillwater, OK            70 miles    1 hour  11 minutes

Wichita, KS            176 miles    2 hours  41 minutes

Man, I would love to see us go to Columbia. That ESPN Mock Draw would be ideal (UM, WSU, ORU, Ill-Chi)...I like the way our bats had the chance to let loose this weekend, and Mizzou's staff doesn't seem as fearsome as it once did. And I always enjoy watching us stick it to the Shockers. Of course, if this bracketology is anything like ESPN's basketball bracketology, then it's a high possibility that the exact opposite will happen.

-Getting to watch our guys play in Stillwater would be awesome, but would be a tough draw. I'm not sure what was up with Texas A&M and Nebraska this week at the Big 12 tournament, but both were far from impressive. The Aggies have been much stronger in College Station this year though...

-I guess if I can't make it to a regional, then it would be nice to go to Omaha  :-D

Agree that Nebraska or Missouri would be best for the team's chances of advancing....but TheEagleman wants Dallas Baptist!!!.... :-D

Since we'll be a low 2 or a high 3, we're likely to be paired against a national seed.  So, looking at the hosts that rank in the top 8 in RPI - we're likely to be sent to one of these locations:

Arizona State

Coastal Carolina

Florida State

Miami

Nebraska

Rice

North Carolina

I'm thinkin Lincoln!

Baseball America's final projections (after all of Sunday's games) still has us going to Stillwater as a #3 with #1 OSU (#7 national seed), #2 Wichita State, and #4 Illinois-Chicago. 

Other opponents in the field:

Pepperdine - #2 seed at Fullerton Regional

Arkansas - #3 seed at Long Beach Regional

Wichita State - #2 seed at Stillwater Regional

Texas - #2 seed at Houston Regional

Dallas Baptist - #3 seed at Houston Regional

We have a 6-6 record against this projected field.

ESPN's college baseball analyst's projections really tick me off:  he has us as the lowest rated #3 seed (48th overall), in the Lincoln regional with the lowest-rated #1 Nebraska (16th overall), the highest rated #2 Kentucky (17th overall), and the highest-rated #4 Eastern Illinois (#49).

They have the Lincoln regional winner paired in the Super Regionals with the champion of overall #1 Miami of Florida's regional.

The following teams are all ranked above us as stronger #3's, versus weaker #2's in their first-round games:  Oklahoma, Dallas Baptist, Arkansas, St. John's, Elon, UNC Wilmington, and UC-Davis.

Surely this guy doesn't know what he's talking about:

ESPN Baseball Bracket Projections 5/25/08

Why does that offend you so much? As long as we're in a winnable regional, who cares? Besides, look at that guys picture. Does it look like he gets out of his mom's basement very often?

Why does that offend you so much? As long as we're in a winnable regional, who cares? Besides, look at that guys picture. Does it look like he gets out of his mom's basement very often?

Because some of these guys writing for national outlets don't know their butt from second base, that's why.  We're not the 48th-ranked team in the country, and this guy should know that if he's writing for ESPN.

They might as well have used a dart board, or the tic-tac-toe rooster from the Tulsa State Fair.

Neither could be much worse than that "expert's" projections.  :x

Well, it was all be crystal clear after the pairings are announced in 2 hrs...but yeah, ORU does not get a whole lot of national respect...we are just going to have to win a regional again and perhaps a super regional....it can be done.... :-P

Guys, we get a lot more national respect in baseball than in any other sport. Un-bunch your panties, will ya?

Seed doesn't matter, as long as you're not facing the host team on the first day and that's highly doubtful this year. The only exception to that this year is Michigan.

Besides, look at that guys picture. Does it look like he gets out of his mom's basement very often?

Wow! +1

I have a feeling we are going to Lincoln.  I would like for us to go to Stillwater for selfish reasons.  It would be close for our fans, and I just want to see our guys beat the Cowboys.  I also think we would get a lot more local media coverage.

In reality... it doesn't matter where we go.  We just need good match-ups, and hopefully we we get paired up with a somewhat lame regional.  I don't want our guys to have to go to Miami for Super Regionals.

Could ORU go to Lincoln for regionals, and Stillwater for super regionals?  That wouldn't be bad!  I don't know if the NCAA allows two conference members to be paired up in super regionals.

I have a feeling we are going to Lincoln.  I would like for us to go to Stillwater for selfish reasons.  It would be close for our fans, and I just want to see our guys beat the Cowboys.  I also think we would get a lot more local media coverage.

In reality... it doesn't matter where we go.  We just need good match-ups, and hopefully we we get paired up with a somewhat lame regional.  I don't want our guys to have to go to Miami for Super Regionals.

Could ORU go to Lincoln for regionals, and Stillwater for super regionals?  That wouldn't be bad!  I don't know if the NCAA allows two conference members to be paired up in super regionals.

They try to avoid it, but sometimes it happens. If, as many predict, OSU and Nebraska are both national seeds then obviously they won't be paired together.

Places I don't want to go: Stillwater, Tallahassee, Tempe, any of the Carolina destinations (though it's lovely this time of year!) and Houston. Other than that... bring it on!

ESPN's college baseball analyst's projections really tick me off:  he has us as the lowest rated #3 seed (48th overall), in the Lincoln regional with the lowest-rated #1 Nebraska (16th overall), the highest rated #2 Kentucky (17th overall), and the highest-rated #4 Eastern Illinois (#49).

They have the Lincoln regional winner paired in the Super Regionals with the champion of overall #1 Miami of Florida's regional.

The following teams are all ranked above us as stronger #3's, versus weaker #2's in their first-round games:  Oklahoma, Dallas Baptist, Arkansas, St. John's, Elon, UNC Wilmington, and UC-Davis.

Surely this guy doesn't know what he's talking about:

ESPN Baseball Bracket Projections 5/25/08

OT, you're right - this guy has absolutely no clue.  But, the team he's disrespecting here is not ORU, it's the Huskers.  ORU is placed in this regional solely because of location - the proximity to Lincoln - and the need for a #3 seed in that regional.  But predicting the Huskers as the #16 national seed, when they have an RPI of 7 - THAT'S a lack of respect.