Hollimon's unique blend of talents pave way to Triple-A

Bogus Smith

Toledo Slug Hen

By John Wagner

Hollimon's unique blend of talents pave way to Triple-A

TOLEDO—Even though Michael Hollimon is one of the better prospects in the Tigers farm system, his future still is a little cloudy.

His big league position isn't completely settled, and his path to the major leagues in Detroit is blocked by veteran infielders Placido Polanco and Edgar Renteria. Where he fits best in a big league batting order isn't quite clear, either.

But that doesn't bother Hollimon. After all, when compared with the murkiness that once surrounded his professional career, Hollimon's current uncertainties don't even rate as speed bumps.

"I don't really think about my numbers, my future, or anything like that," Hollimon said. "I just try to play hard, score runs and help the team win by doing whatever I can."

Hollimon was seen as a potential first-round pick in 2001 while at Jesuit Prep in Dallas, having also played on several highly regarded national youth teams. But he was focused on accepting a scholarship from Texas, so he slipped to the 32nd round and joined the Longhorns instead of signing with the Dodgers.

"My advisor and I had agreed that, to give up the college experience, it was going to take average first-round money," Hollimon said. "And going to college was the best thing that happened to me. I went through a lot of struggles there, and I learned a lot about myself."

As a freshman, Hollimon was voted second team all-Big 12 Conference as the Longhorns' starting shortstop, but Brandon Fahey replaced him late in the season as Texas drove to the 2002 College World Series title. He played three seasons in Texas and finished with a .243 career average.

The Twins selected Hollimon as a draft-eligible sophomore in the 49th round in 2003, but the switch-hitting infielder instead returned to Texas, and then transferred to Oral Roberts for his senior season in 2005.

"I learned that, when the chips are down and things are going to go against me, I'm not going to give up," Hollimon said when asked if he had any regrets about his time in Austin. "I know I'm going to put my nose to the grindstone to get out of that funk. I know I'm a fighter.

"It was absolutely (a good experience for me). I'd do it all over again if I could. It made me grow as a person, and it told me a lot about myself."

Getting Better With Age

Hollimon helped boost his draft stock in 2005 by hitting .304 with 14 homers, 55 RBIs and 26 stolen bases at Oral Roberts, earning co-player of the year honors in the Mid-Continent Conference.

"Going up and playing for (ORU coach) Rob Walton was the best thing that could happen for me," Hollimon said. "He's just an unbelievable person—not just a coach. His credentials speak for themselves, but he's just a great person.

"He and the other coaches there helped me out so much, I could never thank them enough." (italics added)

The Tigers were the next team to draft Hollimon, investing a 16th-round pick in 2005, and the shortstop tore up the short-season New York-Penn League, batting .275/.391/.557 for Oneonta, with 13 home runs, 36 extra-base hits and 50 walks, all totals that ranked second in the league.

In his first full season, Hollimon helped lead low Class A West Michigan to the Midwest League title. He batted .278/.386/.501 with 15 homers, 13 triples and 54 RBIs to earn a spot on the postseason league all-star team.

Last season, Detroit decided to move Hollimon from shortstop to second base. The Tigers also skipped him past high Class A Lakeland, sending him instead to Double-A Erie, a move that he found exciting.

"Any time you get a chance to challenge yourself like that, it's a great opportunity," Hollimon said. "Was I expecting it? No. I wasn't thinking about that.

"There are only a few things you can control: how hard you prepare, and how hard you play. With everything else, you just let the chips fall where they may."

Hollimon again tasted success, batting .282/.371/.478 with 14 homers and 76 RBIs to earn a spot on the Eastern League's postseason all-star team.

Late in the year, Hollimon was promoted to Triple-A Toledo, where he started at shortstop for the Mud Hens in the Governors' Cup playoffs, instead of playing for Erie in the EL playoffs.

"When I got called up, I had mixed emotions," Hollimon admitted. "I was really excited to get the opportunity to play for Toledo, but at the same time I had worked so hard in Erie, and we had a great team."

"That put everything into perspective—this is a business, and you have to treat it like that."

The Last Step

In spring training, Hollimon was given an opportunity to play third base as well as short and second. He also spent time in the outfield with Team USA last winter, during the Olympic Qualifying Tournament, giving him a versatility that increases his value.

"I was thrilled, " Hollimon said. "It challenged me to be more than just a second baseman, or more than just a shortstop. To be able to play third base, and to play left field in the winter, makes me versatile instead of one-dimensional."

At the plate in his first full season with Toledo, Hollimon was batting .238/.314/.524 through 63 at-bats—with five doubles, two triples and thee homers—after missing the start of the season because of a shoulder injury sustained in spring training.

"He's one of those guys who looks better in a game," Toledo manager Larry Parrish said. "He's a guy that shows his instincts as the game is going on—when to run, when to look for a certain pitch.

"He can have some wild swings early in the count, then work a walk—or late in the count hit the pitch he was fooled on."

While Parrish admitted that Hollimon still needs some polish—"Sometimes he pulls off the fastball, and he needs to stay on breaking balls, taking them back up the middle or the other way," Parrish said—Toledo's veteran skipper said Hollimon certainly has at least one plus tool.

"To me, his biggest tool is that he's a baseball player," Parrish said. "He's a switch-hitter who has a little pop on both sides of the plate. And he's versatile, can play defense anywhere you need him.

"He can do a little bit of everything, and he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses."

This part bears repeating:

Hollimon helped boost his draft stock in 2005 by hitting .304 with 14 homers, 55 RBIs and 26 stolen bases at Oral Roberts, earning co-player of the year honors in the Mid-Continent Conference.

"Going up and playing for (ORU coach) Rob Walton was the best thing that could happen for me," Hollimon said. "He's just an unbelievable person—not just a coach. His credentials speak for themselves, but he's just a great person.

"He and the other coaches there helped me out so much, I could never thank them enough."

Could any coach ever dream of a better endorsement from a former player?  :-D