Saturday IPFW Game

Old Titan

Just got back from my son's basketball game at the "Y" (yes, we won again big - must be the INCREDIBLE coaching the boys receive  :wink: ), and since there's no play-by-play going on here, I will let you know that ORU leads 4-0, headed to the top of the 7th, as they go for the series sweep.

sweet.....another great starting pitching effort today...who is on the mound for the good guys?....IPFW seems to have decent pitching...but not much stickwork at the plate.... :-P

Mark Serrano pitching a shutout through six.  ORU scores three more in the 7th to take a commanding 7-0 lead.

Serrano is coming on strong...more pitching depth for the post season is a good thing....bring on the big boys!!!........ :-D

Bittersweet day for IPFW - this is their last game of the season, and the last game EVER for most of their seniors.

No fun closing the season with 4 straight losses - guess it's a lot more bitter than sweet for the 'Dons...  :|

ORU ends with a flourish, scoring four more in the ninth, cruises to an 11-1 win.

Serrano picks up the win, ORU now 43-12, will face the conference tournament #4 seed (the loser of today's Centenary- Western Illinois game) at 7:00 p.m. Thursday night at Johnson Stadium.

Congrats to the Golden Eagles on a fine ending to the regular season and 9 straight wins going into the Conference Tournament!!!...it's a great time to be playing their best baseball and let's hope they carry it into the post season....they should be playing next week with a lot of confidence...a sweep in the Conference tournament could give us an outside shot at a #2 seed in the regionals...always proud of Coach Walton and the boys and how they represent ORU!.... :-)

Bittersweet day for IPFW - this is their last game of the season, and the last game EVER for most of their seniors.

No fun closing the season with 4 straight losses - guess it's a lot more bitter than sweet for the 'Dons...  :|

You're showing a little soft spot in that big ol' heart of yours, OT :wink:!

Yeah, matches the soft spots on my head and my gut.

Centenary blows a chance to avoid ORU in the first round of the Summit League Tournament in Tulsa on Thursday by losing at home today to Western Illinois, 8-5.

Here are Thursday's match-ups:

3:00 p.m. - #2 Seed Southern Utah vs. #3 Seed Western Illinois

7:00 p.m. - #1 Seed Oral Roberts vs. #4 Seed Centenary

Personally, I think both of those games can be pretty good and entertaining.  Centenary has a decent #1 pitcher that should keep the score low for both teams; thus giving CC a chance in the end.  SUU and WIU will just end up wasting their #1 pitchers for a chance to lose to ORU, but the game will be competitive between two sub-#200-rated teams.

Tell me about the #1 starter for Centenary?...think they have a shot to beat us Thursday night or will our bats be too much for the Gents?

I sure hope that the Summit League press release that came out today is wrong about the times on Thursday's games.  It states that ORU has the afternoon slot with CC and the "teams-going-through-the-motions" game has the 7:00 slot.  It's going to be pretty hard to get any local fan support to come out and see the home team during working hours. 

Hopefully the Assistant Championship Director for the Baseball Tournament has enough pull to reverse the times on these games so that the locals can see the night game they want to see on Thursday.

Tell me about the #1 starter for Centenary?...think they have a shot to beat us Thursday night or will our bats be too much for the Gents?

Justin Kraft has ended up being CC's top starter with a 3.42 ERA and .275 BA.  He shutout WIU last Thursday in his last outing (an 8-0 shutout) on 124 pitches.  It was the only shutout by their pitching staff all season. 

When Kraft pitched against us in April, he lost that game 8-5, but we got 3 runs in the top of the ninth in a close game.  VanKirk and Martinez got doubles off of Kraft for the only extra base hits of the game for the Eagles.

If you remember, CC took us 16 innings in the first game of our series in April before we came through with a win.  CC eventually won game #4 of the series in Shreveport and believe that they can stay with us.  We need to disspell that thought early in the game - hopefully with some home field advantage (the crowd) in a night game.

ORU will play at 7pm on Thursday. We should have an above average crowd for the entire tournament. I've worked out some promos with several of the top radio stations and we have made some contributions to some charities and non-profit organizations. Contact me if you know any charities that would like some tickets.

KHTS 106.9 FM has been giving away family four packs all weekend. I've actually heard two of the giveaways. K95 FM will be giving tickets away all week. KVOO and KFAQ will be giving some tickets away. We also will have tickets given away on the Buzz and Sports Animal. So plenty of promo tickets are out.

Just about all the general admission tickets have been distributed.

ORU will play at 7pm on Thursday. We should have an above average crowd for the entire tournament. I've worked out some promos with several of the top radio stations and we have made some contributions to some charities and non-profit organizations. Contact me if you know any charities that would like some tickets.

KHTS 106.9 FM has been giving away family four packs all weekend. I've actually heard two of the giveaways. K95 FM will be giving tickets away all week. KVOO and KFAQ will be giving some tickets away. We also will have tickets given away on the Buzz and Sports Animal. So plenty of promo tickets are out.

Just about all the general admission tickets have been distributed.

Thanks for the update, Mike.  I knew someone with the smarts would figure this one out.  Too bad that no one in the conference office fits that category.

Yeah, I just noticed the Summit League website still has the times as of 8:00 p.m. local Sunday night as ORU playing the early game Thursday.

Heaven forbid someone in the league office go to the trouble on a weekend to make the correction...  :roll: