1968 ORU Basketball Ad

orumom

The dunk was illegal in NCAA and High School ball for about 10 years from about 1965-65 until 1975-76.  The return of the dunk has certainly changed the face of the game.

you are right, hammer...the dunk was made illegal when Lew Alcinder (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) entered UCLA back in 1967-8.....if Alcindor, who was arguably the best college center of all time, had been allowed to dunk...oh well, we can only imagine how many points he might have put up....when i was at ORU 1972-76, the dunk was illegal....we had a Center/Power Forward named Eddie Woods who was 6-7 but played like he was 6-11....the man could flat out jump and I personally saw him pick a dime off the top of the backboard one afternoon practice at the old HRC.....anyway, dunking was illegal even in warm ups and the refs would come out to monitor during pre-game....it was punishable by a techincal foul....there were certain games where Coach Trickey specifically instructed Eddie to finish off the opening drill with a thunderous slam dunk done in an effort to intimidate the opposition....i saw more a couple of games that started off with the opposition attempting a technical free throw instead of a jump ball....Woods also had intructions from Trickey to goaltend any early drive to the basket by the opposition just to let them know that he would be there in their face the whole game....Eddie Woods has to be one the most intimidating front court players i have ever seen....i only saw a couple of his junior and his entire senior season....he wasn't the best shooter (had no outside game at all) but he was a fantastic rebounder, defender, shot blocker and all around inside intimidator....he was also quite a character, very quiet but a dry sense of humor who was a good interview when i wrote for the Oracle....i wonder what ever happened to the man?...he was from the Trickey Memphis, TN pipeline and i have no idea where he went when he graduated...i believe until a couple years ago he was the only player in NCAA history to grab 30 rebounds in back to back games...some guy out west did int about 5 yrs ago....anybody know what happened to Eddie???? :-P

I have no idea where Eddie is, but we do have an 18 X 24 framed picture of him that we won at a pre-season BBQ & Auction several years ago.

I have no idea where Eddie is, but we do have an 18 X 24 framed picture of him that we won at a pre-season BBQ & Auction several years ago.

I did a search on several players from the 1974 team. Smitty told me that the team only received watches for their Elite Eight run and I want us to re-recognize them by electing the entire team into the Hall of Fame. We would present rings to them at halftime at a game. I found an Eddie Woods listened in Chattanooga, TN. I haven't called yet, but I will during a slower time this summer. I want to honor that 74 team!

I also want to do the same with the 78 baseball team.

I also want to do the same with the 78 baseball team.

...of which this is the 30th anniversary!!

This is a fabulous idea.... what can we do to help?

I think honoring the 1973-74 team would be awesome...Woods was from Chattanooga not Memphis....i guess he would be about 55 yrs old now...that team deserved something besides watches....Eddie played for ORU from 1970 thru 1974...don't know if he actually got a degree but he was a heck rebounder and is the all-time leading ORU player in that catagory....he always had a grin on his face and that pencil thin moustache....long arms and just an intimidating force inside....along with Anthony Roberts, Eddie is my favorite ORU player of all time.... :-D