Janae Voelker

MrsSmith

I didn't know if any of you read the track & field stories.  I thought this was interesting from the Sooner Invitational the other day:

Also competing in the throws events was sophomore Janae Voelker, who competed in both the javelin and and shot put at the Sooner Invite. Her best finish of the day came in the javelin where she placed fourth with a 130-11 throw. In the shot put, Voelker threw 41-02.50 to place eighth.

I didn't know if any of you read the track & field stories.  I thought this was interesting from the Sooner Invitational the other day:

Also competing in the throws events was sophomore Janae Voelker, who competed in both the javelin and and shot put at the Sooner Invite. Her best finish of the day came in the javelin where she placed fourth with a 130-11 throw. In the shot put, Voelker threw 41-02.50 to place eighth.

If I'm not mistaken, Janae is/was also a nationally-ranked weightlifter.

Very impressive - I can't think of another ORU athlete excelling at two sports like that since Greg "The Hatchet Man" Davis starred in baseball and basketball back in the early 70's. 

Eric Smith, a high jumper who also walked-on the basketball team in the 80's comes to mind, but he rarely played. 

Can anyone think of any others?

Layla Schwartz (spelling) played women's basketball and competed in track & field while at ORU.  I think she was at ORU in the late 90's and early 2000's.

I think we also had a soccer player on the tennis team sometime around 2003ish.

Considering Janae's accomplishments on the court and on the track, would it be a stretch to say she is ORU's greatest all-around female athlete ever?

Considering Janae's accomplishments on the court and on the track, would it be a stretch to say she is ORU's greatest all-around female athlete ever?

She may very well be the best female athlete to go to ORU.  Obviously I'm too young to know the history, and I'm sure there have been some great athletes.  You can't really beat ORU HOF member Madeline Manning-Mimms winning a gold medal in the Olympics.

The track program has had a ton of very gifted athletes over the years.

Someone would really need to know their ORU sports history to be able to name a better two sport athlete.

Someone told me that Janae turned down a chance to go to the University of Arkansas as a track athlete.

She may very well be the best female athlete to go to ORU.  Obviously I'm too young to know the history, and I'm sure there have been some great athletes.  You can't really beat ORU HOF member Madeline Manning-Mimms winning a gold medal in the Olympics.

The track program has had a ton of very gifted athletes over the years.

Someone would really need to know their ORU sports history to be able to name a better two sport athlete.

Someone told me that Janae turned down a chance to go to the University of Arkansas as a track athlete.

MMM never competed for ORU. In fact, she won her gold medal in 1968, BEFORE she received her honorary degree from ORU. She attended Tennesse State and was a member of the famed TigerBelles track squad. Calling her the greatest female athlete at ORU is a real stretch.

MMM never competed for ORU. In fact, she won her gold medal in 1968, BEFORE she received her honorary degree from ORU. She attended Tennesse State and was a member of the famed TigerBelles track squad. Calling her the greatest female athlete at ORU is a real stretch.

That proves my point that someone would need to know their ORU history pretty well.  I'd like to think that I'm a pretty big fan, but I couldn't tell you much about our Hall of Fame besides just contacting Media Relations.  I wouldn't know where to find info on non-basketball and baseball athletes since it's not on the website.  There is just not much information even on the website as far as history of the smaller athletic programs.

So who would be even comparable as far as two sport athletes?

That proves my point that someone would need to know their ORU history pretty well.  I'd like to think that I'm a pretty big fan, but I couldn't tell you much about our Hall of Fame besides just contacting Media Relations.  I wouldn't know where to find info on non-basketball and baseball athletes since it's not on the website.  There is just not much information even on the website as far as history of the smaller athletic programs.

Sounds like Media Relations just found a summer project, huh?  :wink:

While taking graduate classes in Divinity at ORU, Madeline ran in several high-profile amateur and Olympic-qualifying competitions under the ORU name, in an ORU singlet.  She was inducted into the HOF based on the publicity she brought to ORU in the early years by doing well in those events.

Although not running competitively now (she's older than most of us on this Board), Madeline has returned to ORU to earn a Doctorate degree.  Her daughter is running track at the University of Missouri.

Perhaps if you weren't too busy creating silly highlight videos on work time, you might be able to learn something about the athletic achievements at your alma mater. But then, everyone on this board thinks you know everything anyway, so what does it matter?

Well actually I'm trying to help out Jeremy Burton with the university YouTube issue. We are trying to get more positive ORU videos on YouTube, because the top video right now is the "Oral Roberts Sex Tape".  Plus in my opinion it never hurts to have as much positive things as possible visible to the general public. Last time I checked ORUBB doesn't sign my paycheck. If you or anyone has issues with me or how I do things... Man up and say something to my face. You won't and that's fine.  You would understand that posting a YouTube video is not time consuming. You can do many productive things at work between each step in the process. Try it sometime...

Anyways, I've been held up at the Tulsa airport all day. Thanks to American Airlines. I hope to be at the Cardinals game tonight.

ORUBB don't rob your employer just to rip me on this board again.

Well actually I'm trying to help out Jeremy Burton with the university YouTube issue. We are trying to get more positive ORU videos on YouTube, because the top video right now is the "Oral Roberts Sex Tape".  Plus in my opinion it never hurts to have as much positive things as possible visible to the general public. Last time I checked ORUBB doesn't sign my paycheck. If you or anyone has issues with me or how I do things... Man up and say something to my face. You won't and that's fine.  You would understand that posting a YouTube video is not time consuming. You can do many productive things at work between each step in the process. Try it sometime...

Anyways, I've been held up at the Tulsa airport all day. Thanks to American Airlines. I hope to be at the Cardinals game tonight.

ORUBB don't rob your employer just to rip me on this board again.

So sensitive... someone get Mikey a cookie.

if i remember right regina lipnick, a volleyball player in the early 80's,  played with the womens basketball team for a year

• 1 month later...

Eric Mattison started on the soccer team in 05 and 06, and then would pitch for the baseball team in the Spring, although I think he actually got more time as a pinch runner. He's probably the most recent double sport athlete before Jenae...