Question....the last time....???

theeagleman5

So when was the last time that ORU dropped the first game of a series in the Mid-Con/Summit???...seems like we always have the best ace in the league and win the opener....more likely to lose one of games 2 thru 4 when we do lose....and has any team ever even split a series with us?.... :-D

The last time that the Golden Eagles dropped the first game of a Mid-Con/Summit series was against Centenary on April 22, 2006.  As a matter of reference, in this millennium, the Eagles have only lost the first game of a Summit series three times - 4/22/06 v. Centenary, 5/14/05 v. WIU and 5/10/02 v. SUU.  As has been mentioned in a previous thread, each Summit League team has at least one pitcher that is their stud pitcher and can beat us on a given day; however, their depth is usually such that there is no more than one guy that can keep our bats quiet while hoping that enough run support can be generated to beat us.

Since 1999, the Eagles have lost more than one game ONCE to a Summit League opponent.  The Eagles dropped a regular season game to the Thunderbirds on 4/21/2000 and then our only loss since in a Mid-Con Tournament game (the Summit League hasn't had a Tournament game yet) was to SUU on 5/18/2000.  As a matter of fact, since we have been in the Mid-Con/Summit, the Conference Tournament has not been extended past three games EXCEPT in 2000 (four game tournament).  During this millennium, the Eagles have lost 12 Mid-Con/Summit games with SUU being the most:  5 - Southern Utah, 2 - Oakland, 2 - Valpo, 1 - Centenary, 1 - Chicago State, 1 - Western Illinois.  That is called domination!

This is more information than you bargained for, but since I was looking for an answer to your question (I was wondering this, too), I figured I would do some digging for future reference.

This is more information than you bargained for, but since I was looking for an answer to your question (I was wondering this, too), I figured I would do some digging for future reference.

Great stuff, though, Bogus.

whoa...thanks for all that info, bogus...so basically, if ORU loses today vs. SUU....it will be an historic event!.... :-P

Since Southern Utah joined the conference eight years ago, ORU has NEVER swept a four-game series in Cedar City, going 3-1 in 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006.

In 2006 (the year the Golden Eagles advanced to the Super Regional) ORU won the first three games at SUU by whopping scores of 25-9, 14-2 and 11-5, before dropping the last game of the series, 4-3.

Southern Utah also has the distinction of winning the only game ORU has ever lost in conference tournament play:  in the winner's bracket game on the second day of play in 2000 at J.L. Johnson Stadium, the Thunderbirds beat ORU 6-1.  ORU had to win two games the next day to get to the championship game, and did so in style, beating Youngstown 26-2 and Oakland 20-1, before avenging their loss to SUU in the final, 8-4.

In ten years of Mid-Con/Summit League conference tournament competition, ORU is an amazing 33-1 with ten straight tournament titles.  :-o