Huey Lewis & the News

oruvoice

So, exit RR & LR and their micro-managing approach and enter Huey Lewis to the Mabee Center for a concert.

You would have NEVER seen that performer at the MC, until now. I personally think it is a VERY GOOD thing. But, I know there are some that don't think so.

Discuss.....

About a week after I arrived in Tulsa to start school at ORU, in the August heat of 1982, Huey Lewis and the News played to a huge audience out at Mohawk Park, back in the days with the city was sponsoring free concerts out there.  Cars of concert-goers were lined up for miles in both directions on 36th St. N.  Huey Lewis & the News was at the height of their popularity, and I'm sure that concert was the reason that Tulsa is mentioned in the song, "The Heart of Rock and Roll".  That concert, and driving onto the helicopter pad at the Osteopathic Hospital on my way into town (another story), are two of my earliest memories of Tulsa.

I didn't actually attend that concert, but I'm hoping to make this one - along with a bunch of other gray-hairs looking to resurrect the days of their youth!

So, exit RR & LR and their micro-managing approach and enter Huey Lewis to the Mabee Center for a concert.

You would have NEVER seen that performer at the MC, until now. I personally think it is a VERY GOOD thing. But, I know there are some that don't think so.

Discuss.....

In response to your question, I don't see how Huey Lewis and the News is that much different that James Taylor or Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel or some others that HAVE played at Mabee Center.  Personally, I'm fine with these guys playing on campus - but I admit, there are some groups that I would object to. 

I'm not quite sure at what level you intended your question - I'd be fine with Huey Lewis performing on campus, but I WOULD draw the line with some other groups.  Is that what you were asking?

Yes. That is what I was asking.

I expect the Mabee Center will start booking more acts like this. Which is a good thing, in my opinion. But, I would bet that some will object...

Discuss.....

Considering Sports is probably one of the best albums ever... I am all for this.

I recall when I was an ORU student in the early eighties, I heard that

K.I.S.S. wanted to have a concert at the Mabee Center but somehow it was turned away.

Also, I remember the Billy Joel concert at the Mabee Center. 

Some folks were drunk and ran their cars through the wet grass near the avenue of flags.  Making lots of muddy ruts in the lawn.

OR mentioned in chapel that he wanted better events at the Mabee Center. (like the Happy Hunters who were coming in next)

Doesn't the city of Tulsa have some kind of say about who can be at the Mabee Center?

I thought I heard that ORU usually had to compromise on some events at the arena.  Because a certian amount of money was initially given by someone (John Mabee?) or the city.  So they had to negotiate these things.

I don't know how true any of this information is, though. 

I wasn't in the inner circle.

Yes. That is what I was asking.

I expect the Mabee Center will start booking more acts like this. Which is a good thing, in my opinion. But, I would bet that some will object...

Not too long after I arrived in Tulsa they had Linda Ronstadt at Mabee Center.  While I didn't attend, I remember reading in the paper that she had some disparaging things to say about ORU during her concert, and that riled some folks up.  I was a big fan of hers up to that point, but thought it was rather tasteless to bad-mouth your host.  That pretty much ended my interest in her :roll:.

Not too long after I arrived in Tulsa they had Linda Rhonstadt at Mabee Center.  While I didn't attend, I remember reading in the paper that she had some disparaging things to say about ORU during her concert, that riled some folks up.  I was a big fan of hers up to that point, but thought it was rather tasteless to bad-mouth your host.  That pretty much ended my interest in her :roll:.

I remember reading in the Oracle John Denver also had some not so nice comments about ORU at his concert.

A girl on the sister wing was turned off by that, I recall. 

Wow, I can't believe I remember all that stuff...

Another event I remember hearing about was the Keith Green several day concert prayer meeting. 

The year before I came to ORU, so I didn't see any of this. 

I was told he had some comments for OR.

Keth Green has a whole chapter of what happened from his perspective is in his book

No Compromise

I think someone from the administration stopped what was happening.

Like someone said on one of the other threads, it seems like ORU brings out the best and worst in people.