Ken Tutt

ORUTerry

I was looking at the shooting stats for Ken Tutt over the last six games or so and here is what the numbers show:

He is shooting 28.1% over the last six games while averaging 15 shots per game. Tutt is shooting 43.6% from the 3-point arc and only 16.0% from inside the arc. If you take away the Utah State game where he shot 9 for 20 (7 of 12 from behind the 3-point line), his shooting percentage drops to 23.2% (37% from 3-point; 14.3% inside the arc). For the season he is shooting 35.1 (fg%) and 38.5% from the 3-point line.

Ken is 2nd in turnovers at 45 (behind Green's 48 ) - a reflection of his increased ball handling in playing the point guard position. He also leads the team in minutes played at 35.9 per game.

Not sure what to make of Ken's diminshed production this year. It is probably a combination of having to play point guard (an unaccustomed position), some mechanical / techincal issue with his shot, an undisclosed injury and/or the fact that he is drawing the opposing team's best defensive player. I do know that we need Tutt to find his range and give the team a consistent perimeter threat to draw teams away from Caleb Green.

I would say that it is a combination of him having to play point, and also of him seeing more pressure from opposing teams. This is why I believe we need someone else less heralded to step up and start hitting some from the arc consistently (Chris Riouse, Moses Ehambe, Andrew Melow, JB, somebody).

Ken is not a great "create your own shot" type of guy. He is not super quick, and his lack of height makes him easier to guard whenever he drives the lane. He has proven that he can be deadly when left open for a second, and that he has superior range on his shot. That is why opposing players are hounding him consistently. Having another quard that can drop it like it's hot would force teams to think twice about who they should use their best defender on. I think the reason we have been able to win close games lately is because of the offensive production of Larry Owens supplimenting Caleb's.

We don't run anything for Ken!!!! All season he has had to try to make things happen on his own, we barely set picks for him!! Chris needs to get some minutes now that he is healthy, with both of them on the floor, it is very tough to guard us. Larry is playing like a freak, JB has stuggled, Ken needs more time a pg w/Chris and Larry at the wings. This will give us a slasher type w/Larry, a flat out shooter in Chris, and another great shooter in Ken, but as Ken showed last year, he can take it inside the arc and hit the shot, he just hasn't had enough help from outside this year. And when Ken is on the perimeter, he needs some screens because he isn't the most athletic guy in the world, but if we can get him some space, watch out. Sutton needs to watch a Duke game, cause Reddick isn't the most athletic guy in the world either, but he gets wide up looks in the ACC against the best athletes in the NCAA. And maybe since we're healthier now, we should have him play a few fewer minutes until he gets it figured out, let someone else have a chance.

Guest EagleBackr
Ken is not a great "create your own shot" type of guy. He is not super quick, and his lack of height makes him easier to guard whenever he drives the lane.

...how quickly we forget: we don't get French benefits, it's not the Leaning Tower of Pizza, Ken Tutt IS quick, and he CAN create his own shot. A refresher course: a ton of Ken's scoring his freshman year came from quick-step drives from the wing along the baseline, where he would pull up and AUTOMATICALLY drain the 12-foot 2-pointer. There was no hesitation - he was like a MACHINE. Only on occassion would he take it all the way to the rack. Later in the game, the defender (anticipating the drive) would stay off him when he was on the wing or in the corner, and Ken would make them pay with the 3. What I've noticed now is that he seems intent on taking it all the way to the hole on the baseline now, and when he gets cut off, he's off balance on the mid-range jumper that used to be his bread-and-butter. I wish he would go back to that patented move he perfected his freshman year - hard dribble-drive along the baseline to put the defender on his heels, then pull up and DRAIN THAT SHORT "J"!! The lay-ups and the wide-open 3's will come in their own sweet time, without forcing them...

We don't get French benefits???

I remember watching the ORU / Minnesota game on TV 2 years ago, it was a good game (though ORU lost by 20) with some good freshmen (Ken, Caleb, and Kris Humphries of Minnesota who went to the NBA after that season). Ken was creating his own shots left and right, and taking contested shots and hitting them. The commentators were impressed with his guts and confidence as a freshman.

Yes, Ken can create his own shot, why he hasn't as much this year is beyond me. But yes, they should run some sets to get him open as well. Bottom line - Ken is slumping. It's obvious because he isn't creating his own shots and he's missing open looks as well. Hopefully he'll find his stroke again like he did at Utah State and we'll get the old Ken back.

Actually I have noticed the same thing.. it is not his SHOT that is the problem... it is his shot SELECTION... there is no way a D1 player should shoot under 40% from 2 point land if they are playing SMART. He is frustrated and forcing shots. I would make sure he and Green are always on the same side of the floor, that means that Tutt's man cannot double down and if he does, Ken steps to the side, Green kicks it back out and Tutt gets a wide open shot...

ash =o)

Guest Rob Marshall

Hmmmmmm ... a little two man game with Green and Tutt; sounds like a recipe for a lot of good looks. 8)

Play Tutt at the one (1) and Ehambe at the two (2) along with Green, Vealy, and Owens at forward together on the floor about 25ish mintues a game. Could be our best combination IMHO. :wink:

Apparently Ken didn't read the board before today's game.

Seriously though, I think we're stacked at the 3 / 4 with Larry, Caleb, Chello, Yemi, and Moses.

Play Tutt at the one (1) and Ehambe at the two (2) along with Green, Vealy, and Owens at forward together on the floor about 25ish mintues a game. Could be our best combination IMHO. :wink:

Okay, Rob - were you at the game today, or did you listen to it? Replace Ken with JB and that IS the combination we had on the floor for much of the second half, and it was a fun combo to watch. Today was a coming out party of sorts for Moses and Chello. Both saw significant minutes - I'm guessing that both got the most play that they've seen in a single game so far.

And they were REALLY fun to watch. Quick, athletic, hitting from inside and outside. Probable could have defended better, but still a GREAT lineup. I hope that we see more of that in games to come.

In spite of that great combination of athleticism and quickness, we had a big fat zero in points from fast breaks. With all of that talent on the floor I think we should be pushing the ball more. Seems like I remember a tremendous layup or finger roll by Vealy early in the game off a fast break, but it wasn't scored that way.

I remember one fast break bucket.... Chello took a pass over his head and made a very nice (athletic) layup.

Guest Rob Marshall

Tim, I had to leave at halftime to get to my son's basketball game on time; that was more important to me for obvious reasons.

Noticed where Bluitt had four (4) assists and SIX (6) turnovers today. Again, play Tutt at the one with the other before mentioned four and just let Bluitt be an additional assistant coach on the bench. 8)

Play Tutt at point guard??? You're kidding right? Have you seen him dribble? He has 46 turnovers versus 'only' 31 for Bluitt (played in 3 less games) - is second behind Green (50) in turnovers.

Guest Rob Marshall

Well Terry, we're obviously "okay" with too many turnovers from our point guard, so we might as well find a way to get our best players on the floor at the same time for as many minutes per game as possible. IMO, Vealy and Ehambe along with Green and Owens are our four most talented basketball players. Add Tutt (and yes over the beloved Bluitt) and that to me is a line-up of our best five basketball players. Let Ehambe share "ball-handling" responsibilities with Tutt if Tutt alone makes you nervous. :wink:

I though last night's second half performance, with basically that same lineup sans Tutt, was pretty spectacular, although against a team that's not real strong. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't see that lineup A LOT, particularly against teams where Mickey's size isn't needed to match up, down the stretch.

Point well taken Rob.... Besides, other teams take advantage of Bluitt's size differential and make it difficult for Bluitt to guard a taller player. (See second half when WIU started a tall lineup and Bluitt was on David Jackson.)

Ever since Moses came out of his red shirt, I have voiced to the family that my Dream Team Starting lineup would be Caleb, JB, Moses, Larry & Chelo.

When they were all on the floor together they were more relaxed than I've seen 5 of our players on the floor in years. You can tell they have chemistry & REALLY like each other.