Groth Co-Player of the Week - Minissale Passed Over!

Old Titan

(Please see the rant at the end of this otherwise boilerplate post)

Groth Named Co-Player of the Week

Courtesy: ORU Media Relations

Release: 04/21/2008

ELMHURST, Ill. -– Oral Roberts’ Ryan Groth was named The Summit League co-Player of the Week for his effort for the Golden Eagles last week, the league office announced on Monday.

Groth takes Co-Player of the Week honors after recording five multi-hit performances with four doubles, a triple and a home run on the week. The junior had eight runs scored and five RBI and led the team with a .565 average. The Boca Raton, Fla. extended his hitting streak to six games.

Groth shared the honors with North Dakota State’s Ryan Langlais.

IPFW’s Brandon Knowling was named pitcher of the week.

ORU travels to Springfield, Mo. on Tuesday to play Missouri Valley Conference foe Missouri State at 7 p.m.

---

After learning this information, I fired off the following e-mail to the Summit League offices: 

"Guys, I know it's not easy picking these Players of the Week for baseball, especially when it comes to ORU, but it is a CRYING SHAME you did not make Kelly Minissale of ORU at least co-pitcher of the week.  He threw a COMPLETE GAME against ARKANSAS, for crying out loud - scattering nine hits, striking out eight, walking only one, giving up only 2 runs.  THE GUY IS A CENTERFIELDER AND HE THREW A COMPLETE GAME AGAINST ARKANSAS!!  Plus, he scored a run and had an RBI batting second in the line-up!  The sad thing is, he rarely starts, and these were all career highs, so it's not like you will get a second chance to recognize him later in the season - THIS WAS IT!  With all due respect, your oversight suggests either an ignorance of what was achieved, or a bias against naming too many ORU players for these awards - or both..."

Unbelievable...  :x

OT, you beat me to it!  What a travesty!!  Granted the IPFW pitcher pitched a nice game with no walks and 11 Ks against the #249th ranked team in the nation!  Oh, by the way, IPFW is #286 out of #296, so the 2.97 ERA that Knowling has earned is against some good high school talent, at best.

It's decisions like this that makes you cringe and wonder why little Johnny can't compete in the global economy (if you get my drift).