Two more coaching candidates confirmed in UI women's basketball search

ORUalum

Two more coaching candidates confirmed in UI women's basketball search

By Aaron Wasser, Daily News staff writer

The Daily News has confirmed two more candidates for the vacant University of Idaho women's basketball coaching position.

Oral Roberts head coach Jerry Finkbeiner and Idaho State head coach Jon Newlee join Walla Walla Community College head coach Bobbi Hazeltine as the three confirmed candidates for the gig.

Hazeltine confirmed March 31 that she had been contacted by UI regarding the position.

ORU athletic director Mike Carter confirmed this afternoon that Idaho AD Rob Spear asked him for permission to speak with Finkbeiner about the job. Newlee said this afternoon that he has had preliminary talks with Idaho, but wouldn't comment if he has been interviewed.

Sources say that a fourth candidate also has been contacted by UI, but the Daily News was unable to confirm that name.

Sources also confirmed that UI would make a decision on a new women's basketball coach relatively soon.

If UI is able to steal Finkbeiner away from ORU it would be quite a coup. In 12 years at the helm, Finkbeiner has led the Golden Eagles to the NCAA Tournament five times, including this season's first-round loss to eventual champion Tennessee.

Finkbeiner, 51, has won 196 games and lost 159 during his tenure. He has led ORU to three 20-win seasons and five Mid-Continent Conference tournament titles.

Finkbeiner's services are also reportedly being sought after by the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay among others.

LINK

I don't know how much the U of I would be offering - but in my opinion, it is an awful job.  My parents are both U of I graduates, and it is very difficult to recruit players to play for the Vandals.  The woeful football team is a HUGE drain on the athletic department budget.  I would hate to see Jerry leave, but I would REALLY hate to see him leave for this type of position.

Hard to say how interested Jerry is in these positions.  He spent some of his younger years in Idaho, and his parents still live in Boise.  He may be interested in returning "home", being closer to his parents, or be considering a better paying job (I don't know about that part), or perhaps a more prestegious program.  Then again, the article says that UI contacted him, not necessarily that he sought them out.  However, if he has a number of programs interested in his services, you would have to assume that he has an agent putting out the word that he's looking. 

Any way you look at it, it would be a HUGE loss for ORU if Jerry accepts a position elsewhere.  He's been the architect of years of success by the ORU women's team.  He owe him a great debt of gratitude.

I understand the "home" bit, although the U of I is a 6-7 hour drive from his parents, so I really don't know how often they would see him.  And as for prestige, I frankly would consider it a step down.  From Kings of the Summit to the Dogs of the WAC... I don't think there's any comparison.  He's not likely to win the National Championship at either school, but he's MUCH more likely to get to the dance right where he is in T-Town.

I understand the "home" bit, although the U of I is a 6-7 hour drive from his parents, so I really don't know how often they would see him.  And as for prestige, I frankly would consider it a step down.  From Kings of the Summit to the Dogs of the WAC... I don't think there's any comparison.  He's not likely to win the National Championship at either school, but he's MUCH more likely to get to the dance right where he is in T-Town.

You're helping me breathe a little easier there, Blue!

unless they are paying a lot more $$$...this move makes no sense...it would seem that with ORU having more stability under the Mart Green tenure that most university employees would be much happier with Richard and Lindsay out of the picture.... :|

Haha I hope Fink realizes that there is absolutely nothing at U of I... maybe a bunch of trees... but thats it. I really hope we dont lose him to  the Vandals...

U of I is the baby sister in Idaho... Idaho State has better programs in my opinion. He would be more likely to get to the tourny at ISU then at U of I.

saw somewhere jerry's name mentioned with n texas but they hired someone also