Dormitories are set to receive serious upgrades (Oracle)

Mike Minyard

This is from the ORU student newspaper...

Dormitories are set to receive serious upgrades

Volume 40, Issue 7

Issue Date: March 28, 2008

Katie Arnold- Spotlight Editor

Many students are thrilled about the promise of the dorm renovations at ORU. Most of the dorm renovations will be in Claudius, however, all students, including those in Towers, will enjoy drastic changes. Rachel Highland, Director of student housing, is working with a team to discuss the details of design for the new renovations. Here’s some to things to look forward to in the fall.

In a recent Chapel service, Mart Green, Board Chair, announced some changes, but couldn’t name all of them. He announced a makeover of the fishbowl, a hangout place for students. This will include new carpet, furniture, flat screen TV’s and game tables. Green also mentioned allowing a microwave and refrigerator in every dorm room.

Here’s some other renovations we can expect to see in all dorms by the fall.

There will be two more electrical circuits for every dorm room. This will enable every room to have a microfridge unit. There will also be new lounge furniture in all dorm lobbies and alcoves. The television and cable systems in the dorms will also be upgraded.

In Claudius, a new sprinkler system will be added. Claudius and EMR will also have a complete bathroom upgrade. The showers will have the marble walls, found already in some bathrooms, such Destiny on Claudius 2South. EMR and Claudius will have a new trash chute system put in. This one is pretty important because, as of now, the basement of Claudius houses the trash compactor, and the trash has to be moved up the elevator through the lobby. With the new trash chute system, the trash compactor will be moved to a different location, and things will run smoother, which means no more smell in the Claudius lobby. Wesley and Susie will also receive new elevators.

Other improvements include covered picnic areas and a basketball court put in next to Lake Evelyn. This, as well as the fishbowl improvements, is a way that the ORU administration, is responding to students needs for more hang out places. There will also be more wireless “hot spots” around campus.

Highland shared her excitement as well as the excitement of other administrators. She said that the summer will be a busy one, but in the fall when the students come back it will feel like Christmas.

Click the link below to view a document sent out by Ralph Fagin to all faculty and staff.  It gives a breakdown of how much money will be spent on various projects upgrading the campus.  This is good news for recruiting.

i see nothing for braxton what are they going to do with that building?

Praise the Lord...the mattress i used in 1974 is probably still in room 520....

i see nothing for braxton what are they going to do with that building?

There is a finite amount to be spent right now and they had to do what was most necessary for the current student population.  As we grow the student body it would seem logical that part of the $25 million being raised would go towards Braxton. (Personally, I would like to see it renamed Shakarian/Braxton).

This is GREAT news...so good to hear!

I know there are a million things on the list but if they can eventually get to overhauling Braxton the way they did Shak/Gabby, I think that'd be the smartest thing. Gabby is pretty nice, but they used the skeleton of what they had from Shak and built it up instead of tearing the whole thing down.

Speaking of naming/renaming facilities....surely something will be named after Mr. Green.  HAs anything been mentioned about that?

This was one of my favorite sections!!!

Marketing for Recruitment

Promotional DVD                                              100,000

Campus Visitation related Office Upgrades            60,000

Teen Mania Promotion                                      50,000

Noel Levitz Recruitment Consulting                      30,000

Internet Advertising                                          30,000

Airport Display                                                  20,000

High School Sports Promotion                              10,000

TOTAL                                                          $300,000

Internet Advertising                                          30,000

ORU needs to invest in advertising with google.  It blows my mind to think that ORU doesn't show up anywhere when you type in "Christian University" into the search field!!!  Instead we lose potential students to TCU, Colorado Christian, Southern Christian, Abilene Christian, Oklahoma Christian, Azusa Pacific, Lubbock Christian, Regent, Heritage Christian, etc.  Even Mid-America Christian in OKC shows up before ORU when searching for a Christian university. 

Grand Canyon Christian actually has a sponsor link so they do advertise.

TCU by far gets the most mention on the google search.

The most alarming thing to me is that many of the Christian schools popping up are within our region.  It looks like two from Oklahoma, one from Kansas, and several from Texas.  So we have a lot of competition for Christian students, and there are a lot of options available in the region.

I went through the first five pages of google and didn't find one mention of ORU or Oral Roberts University.

Nice to be working with a company we KNOW has our best interests at heart  :roll:!!!

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they have our best interests at heart?  :?

For that much money if they help us recruit 5 extra students it'll pay for itself.

They'll probably just tell us to advertise with Google  :-D

ORU needs to invest in advertising with google.  It blows my mind to think that ORU doesn't show up anywhere when you type in "Christian University" into the search field!!!  Instead we lose potential students to TCU, Colorado Christian, Southern Christian, Abilene Christian, Oklahoma Christian, Azusa Pacific, Lubbock Christian, Regent, Heritage Christian, etc.  Even Mid-America Christian in OKC shows up before ORU when searching for a Christian university. 

Grand Canyon Christian actually has a sponsor link so they do advertise.

TCU by far gets the most mention on the google search.

The most alarming thing to me is that many of the Christian schools popping up are within our region.  It looks like two from Oklahoma, one from Kansas, and several from Texas.  So we have a lot of competition for Christian students, and there are a lot of options available in the region.

I went through the first five pages of google and didn't find one mention of ORU or Oral Roberts University.

I've been to TCU many times...it's a Christian university only by name and origin...I agree...we should be on google

One problem with Google/DoubleClick is the ROI. It's hard to quantify. I agree that we should at least show up in search engines but that can be done without even spending a dime.

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they have our best interests at heart?  :?

For that much money if they help us recruit 5 extra students it'll pay for itself.

They'll probably just tell us to advertise with Google  :-D

My point was that with somewhere around 350 other clients it's unlikely we're getting much exclusivity in our counsel from them.  That's all :-).

My point was that with somewhere around 350 other clients it's unlikely we're getting much exclusivity in our counsel from them.  That's all.

I actually disagree.  They have worked with over 1700 colleges & universities.  Experience makes you good at what you do, and they definitely have experience.  I look at it as our Board of Trustees is doing it's best to find the BEST OF THE BEST of who can help us in every category to improve the university. 

https://www.noellevitz.com/Our+Services ... +Inventory

There are some updates on the Board of Reference. It looks like some people who can really help are getting involved. It is also interesting how many are ORU grads.  http://www.oru.edu/boardoftrustees  and this is the link to the Board of Reference http://www.oru.edu/boardoftrustees/reference.php 

One of my personal favorites is Phil Cooke. He tells it like it is. http://www.philcooke.com/blog  If you google "Phil Cooke ORU" you will find some interesting reading.

I believe we are making a great effort to confirm to the Green family and the members of the Board of Trustees that the alumni support them.

The donor list just updated at  http://www.oru.edu/renewingthevision/donors.php 

If you have made a contribution and are not showing up, please  CALL PAULA LEE at 918-495-6161.

You are the most wonderful alumni!!!  I was very proud to see so many of you listed.  ORU's best days are ahead!!!!!  In the last 9 days 456 have made donations to ORU totalling $137,085.  https://webapps.oru.edu/secure/alumniwe ... ion_bf.php

God bless you.