Veteran Eagles set to improve next year - Tulsa World (3-25-08)

ORUTerry

Veteran Eagles set to improve next year

200803_B4_spanc41508_b1oru25pack.jpg

MIKE SIMONS / Tulsa World

Jenny Hardin, trying to shoot over Vicki Baugh during Sunday’s loss, will be one of several veterans returning next season for the Golden Eagles.

(excerpt)

By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer

3/25/2008

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Even before his team took the court Sunday night against Tennessee, Oral Roberts University women's basketball coach Jerry Finkbeiner had thoughts about next season.

The ORU coach was not looking past the first-round NCAA Tournament game against the Lady Volunteers, who toppled the Golden Eagles 94-55 Sunday. No, Finkbeiner was hoping the experience of playing in the NCAA Tournament for a second consecutive year would lay the groundwork for a big 2008-09 season......

Link to Tulsa World Sports Extra

It is believed that Camargo tore the anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee after landing on a Tennessee cheerleader's placard just five seconds into the game.

sorry to hear it's the acl.  i have had acl reconstruction on both knees.  i'm currently about three months out from having acl reconstruction and miniscal repair on my left knee.  best wishes to mariana, she will have a long, tough road back.  the next few months are not going too much fun for her.  however, with her toughness i'm sure she will overcome this obstacle and have a successful senior campaign for the golden eagles.

sorry to hear it's the acl.  i have had acl reconstruction on both knees.  i'm currently about three months out from having acl reconstruction and miniscal repair on my left knee.  best wishes to mariana, she will have a long, tough road back.  the next few months are not going too much fun for her.  however, with her toughness i'm sure she will overcome this obstacle and have a successful senior campaign for the golden eagles.

This deal is very similar to what happened to Janae Voelker last year - tore her ACL in tournament play.  I'm sure that there are different degrees of damage and all, but Voelker was able to have surgery, rehab, and be ready to play by the beginning of the season.  At some point early in the season I was able to ask Coach Finkbeiner about her and he said she was back 100%.

I don't have enough knowledge about this to know one way or another, but I've heard some say you don't come back 100% from that surgery - but it sure seemed like Janae did.  I couldn't tell that she's lost a bit in her abilities.  She's a tough cookie, any way you look at it :wink:!

Several NFL players have torn ACLs and returned to being very productive players.  I am sure Mariana will do the same, but I sure would have liked to had her playing on the team when we played Tennesse.  Mariana became one of our most productive scorers this year, in addition to the assists that she has racked up.  She was definitely a go to player this year, and could have made the game much more interesting.

I pray for a successful surgery and a quicker than expected full recovery!