Tennessee coach Pat Summitt wants NCAA to think about new safety rules

ORUalum

Tennessee coach Pat Summitt wants NCAA to think about new safety rules

(excerpt)

Pat Summitt thinks it's time to consider new safety rules in college basketball.

After seeing Oral Roberts guard Mariana Camargo crumple to the ground on top of a cheerleader's sign in the opening seconds of Sunday night's game, Summitt told The Associated Press on Monday that she would support looking into a rule backing cheerleaders, photographers and camera crews off the baseline to help prevent injuries.

"I would certainly be in favor of that,'' Summitt said.

The issue cropped up Monday, a day after Camargo apparently tore the anterior cruciate ligament while chasing the ball out of bounds off the opening tip.

After the game, Oral Roberts coach Jerry Finkbeiner said he believed Camargo slipped awkwardly when she stepped on the sign. But Summitt and Purdue coach Sharon Versyp, who both watched tape of the game in preparation for their second-round matchup Tuesday night, said the injury actually occurred earlier and that Camargo merely landed on top of the sign.

SI - article link

After the game, Oral Roberts coach Jerry Finkbeiner said he believed Camargo slipped awkwardly when she stepped on the sign. But Summitt and Purdue coach Sharon Versyp, who both watched tape of the game in preparation for their second-round matchup Tuesday night, said the injury actually occurred earlier and that Camargo merely landed on top of the sign.

SI - article link

I watched it several times thanks to my Cox Communications DVR and after further review, it's not surprising that I trust Fink's judgement here more than Summitt or Versyp.  Perhaps the player was out of control prior to STEPPING on the sign, but the fact that her foot landed on the sign which moved across the floor causing her to fall was at a minimum partially responsible for the severity of her injury.

I watched it several times thanks to my Cox Communications DVR and after further review, it's not surprising that I trust Fink's judgement here more than Summitt or Versyp.  Perhaps the player was out of control prior to STEPPING on the sign, but the fact that her foot landed on the sign which moved across the floor causing her to fall was at a minimum partially responsible for the severity of her injury.

Here, here, GB, I couldn't agree more.  Cheerleaders, keep your stuff off the floor around the court! Players are playing too hard, with their focus elsewhere than the floor, for them to be having to "watch their step" around the base line.

That's the second such incident WE'VE seen in the POST-SEASON!  As was mentioned before, a ref tripped over the mat being used by the IPFW cheerleaders and pulled a hamstring during the Summit League tournament (although when that comparison was made yesterday in a meeting that I was at, Mike Carter said that the IPFW cheerleaders had gotten permission from the officials to place their mats there, and that the ref pulled the hamstring running down the court, NOT tripping on the mat).  That should be enough to get rules made to keep paraphernalia, including PEOPLE, off the floor along the baseline.

I wonder what tune ol' Summitt would have if that would have been Candace Parker slipping and ORU cheerleaders' signage invloved?

For her and the Purdue coach to "break down the film" like that and make those comments is a JOKE! Thanks Dr. Summitt.

I wonder what tune ol' Summitt would have if that would have been Candace Parker slipping and ORU cheerleaders' signage invloved?

For her and the Purdue coach to "break down the film" like that and make those comments is a JOKE! Thanks Dr. Summitt.

I thought the same thing, voice.  Fur would have been flyin'.  But, to cut them a little bit of a break, it WAS an accident, the sign wasn't put there to try to hurt anyone, it was just one of those freak things.  Summitt probably should have left it at an apology, or sincere regret that the accident took place, or something like that.  Saying what she did sounds like she's trying to downplay the incident.  Had it been OUR cheerleaders, and one of THEIR key players, I'm sure that they would be singing a different tune. 

Probably would be suing ORU by now.

Typical..... no class. Summit is obviously in 'protect mode'.

I would be shocked if a lawyer had not already contacted Camargo.

move along...nothing to see here...

Sign didn't cause Camargo's injury

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - After reviewing the videotape of Oral Roberts guard Mariana Camargo going down with a left knee injury Sunday night, Jenny Moshak has a different view on how it happened.

"The cheerleader sign did not cause this injury,'' said Moshak, the Tennessee Lady Vols assistant athletic director for sports medicine. "It's very evident from watching the film."

The sign, which was lying just a few feet beyond the baseline, was singled out as the cause for Camargo going down in the opening seconds of the Golden Eagles' NCAA women's tournament game against UT.

Moshak said Camargo overextended her left leg while chasing after the ball and the leg buckled.

"Her momentum carried her forward and she hit the sign with the right leg and she went flying,'' Moshak said.

Moshak said that she talked with the cheerleaders' coach. Moshak said that Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt talked to the coach, the cheerleaders and Camargo.

"First, I had to hold back tears,'' said Summitt, who met with Camargo after the game. "It was such a freak thing, the way it happened. I was thinking, 'Why?' "

Summitt also related her knee injury experiences with Camargo and said, "I've been there. It's all about the rehab."

govolsextra article