Giving Finkbeiner his due - Tulsa World (3-21-2008)

ORUTerry

Giving Finkbeiner his due  

(excerpt)

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

3/21/2008

Oral Roberts University women's basketball coach Jerry Finkbeiner is the most underappreciated figure in Tulsa sports.

For the fifth time in 10 years, Finkbeiner is taking the Golden Eagles to the NCAA Tournament. In this city's history, no other coach has made five NCAA appearances.

With the University of Tulsa men's program, Nolan Richardson made three NCAA appearances. Tubby Smith, Steve Robinson, Bill Self and John Phillips each made two. With the ORU men's program, Scott Sutton made his third NCAA appearance Thursday. Ken Trickey and Dick Acres each made one.

On Sunday night, in a first-round game at West Lafayette, Ind., Finkbeiner's 16th-seeded Golden Eagles are matched with top-seeded and defending national champion Tennessee.......

Link to Tulsa World Sports Extra

That is a great, great article.  It really gives credit where credit is due.  The women's program operates SO MUCH in the shadow of the men's program, and Jerry has been able to accomplish SO MUCH at ORU while receiving few accolades.  It must be tough to watch all the attention being showered on the men's program when theirs is accomplishing many of the same achievements.  That's why I try to support women's basketball every opportunity I get.  This team and this coaching staff deserve the respect and support of the ORU fans.

I hope they make those Volunteers wish they'd stayed home!