3 Game Season

MoState417

Im not sure whats up with ORU this year, they have played better teams this year but there record is not as good as it should be. Everything will be ok though, its only a 3 game season for the mid-con just ask oakland. They can work out whats ever wrong by then and having the tourny in tulsa again will only help.

I think that we're struggling with the same two things that most losing teams have problems with - shooting and turnovers. When you're not getting the ball through the hoop, you're not winning games. It's pretty much as simple as that.

We played a pretty good game against OU - with the exception of TO's - but still lost. Most of the other losses came down to poor shooting.

But this is still a very right-able ship, and with the exception of a couple of teams, the competition should be lesser than the teams that we've lost to. Hopefully we play well in conference, and all of our frustrations will evaporate.

Guest Rob Marshall

Shooting it well, while critically important, isn't nearly as important as playing great as a team from a defensive standpoint AND taking care of the basketball (ie, minimize turnovers thus maximizing scoring opportunities regardless of our FG%). We can play really bad "basketball," but make shots and everyone thinks we played great ... not necessarily a good barometer. Make sense?

Tim, you and Terry are both good stat guys, here's a research project/assignment for you ... in our seven losses this season, what were our opponents' average FG%, how many FT's did our opponents MAKE compared to how many FT's we ATTEMPTED, and finally how many more FG ATTEMPTS did our opponents have compared to us (this stat is important because it is directly related to the number of our turnovers AND the number of offensive rebounds we gave up in the game).

I predict the results of this analysis will present a real picture of why we're 5-7.

Great project, Rob, and I'll work on it. The one weakness of this message board program is that it doesn't lend itself to posting a table where that sort of info is clearly readable. But I'll see what I can do.

Guest Rob Marshall

OK, so I couldn't stand it and ran the numbers myself ... here are our opponents' "averages" in our seven (7) losses ...

PPG 77.3

FG% 47.6%

FG Attempts 58.3

FT's Made 16.1

OUR FT's Attempted 18.1

Good teams typically MAKE near or more FT's than their opponents ATTEMPT ... we averaged only two (2) more FT attempts than our opponents MADE in our seven losses. On average, we gave up too many points and too high of FG%'s in our losses as well.

Take away from this ... play better team defense and remove a bunch of turnovers, then we win a few more of those games, regardless of our poor shooting. I'd like to see us stop worrying about playing "pretty basketball" and decide to just get after people from a defensive standpoint and become a very difficult team to score against ... when that happens, watch the wins start pouring in. 8)