Bluitt relishing return to Eagles;likewise for his teammates

ORUTerry

Bluitt relishing return to Eagles; likewise for his teammates

By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer

12/31/2005

Jonathan Bluitt has never tolerated time on the sidelines.

Growing up in Oklahoma City, Bluitt was excluded from pickup basketball games at the park because the other players thought he was too small. Once allowed to play, the diminutive Bluitt showed his skill was far greater than his size.

"That's all I heard, that I was too little to play and that I couldn't compete with them," Bluitt said. "When I did get in there, I wanted to prove to them that I could play."

Lately, the 5-foot-9 Oral Roberts senior point guard has reflected on those days while awaiting his turn to play.

A sore left Achilles tendon sent Bluitt to the sidelines for three weeks. He stayed in Tulsa when the Golden Eagles traveled to Louisiana-Lafayette on Dec. 15. Listening to the radio broadcast of ORU losing95-74 was too hard to take.

"It was tough just sitting back and having nothing to do," Bluitt said. "All I could do during the games was cheer."

Now Bluitt is back, and the 5-6 Golden Eagles are cheering his return. The senior played 27 minutes and added 13 points off the bench in ORU's 81-73 loss Wednesday at Oklahoma. He is expected to return to the starting lineup for the game at 1 p.m. Saturday at Minnesota (8-2).

"It's great when you have your floor leader back out there with you," junior forward Caleb Green said. "To know you have an experienced point guard and a tough kid like J.B. makes it a lot easier for all of us."

ORU demonstrated consistent offensive rhythm upon Bluitt's return to action Wednesday. With junior guard Ken Tutt back at shooting guard, the Golden Eagles shot a solid 54.9 percent against the Sooners.

Bluitt was directing the attack in getting the ball to scoring threats Green and Tutt. He scored, as well. His 13 points matched a season high.

Bluitt still admits he is not fully healthy. He hurt the Achilles while playing a pickup game. Bluitt and teammate Adam Liberty collided, sending Bluitt to the floor hard. Bluitt discovered a huge bump on his left heel, but decided to play through the pain.

Finally, following the Dec. 7 home loss to Missouri State, Bluitt confided in head coach Scott Sutton that he was in too much pain to play.

Bluitt sat out road games at Northern Colorado, Louisiana-Lafayette and Utah State.

Sutton said Bluitt really "had to be hurting" to put himself on the sidelines for a few games. The ORU coach is glad the point guard is back, because he realizes the team's chances to win the Mid-Continent Conference and advance to the NCAA Tournament depend partly on Bluitt's availability.

"It's like taking a quarterback off a football team. We need J.B. out there running the show for us," Sutton said. "He's a competitor. He wants to play. He wants to win because he's been a winner at every level."