SWEEP!

TrueBlue82

Eagles move to 7-0 with 9-4 win over LeMoyne.  Ugly game, however - with 9 errors (5 by the Dolphins/4 by ORU).

The conditions today were not ideal.  The wind was gusting over 30 mph and a couple of the Dolphin errors were from them diving for fly balls that got caught up in the wind and they just barely missed spectacular catches (creating five of our runs today).  We threw a LOT of pitchers today (as did LeMoyne), but that is to be expected after your second game this early in the season.

Ugly day though, Blue.  We went out for about as long as we could stand it - stayed till the sixth.  Cold wind, really howling.  I still haven't warmed up.

A little drama in the bottom of the sixth - with two on and two outs, Van Kirk runs the count full.  Next pitch looked low and outside, but the ump had a large strike zone, and he moved like he was going to punch Van Kirk out.  Instead, he held up in mid-call, and Van Kirk walks to fill the bases.  The LeMoyne pitcher and coach were furious.  The out would have gotten the LeMoyne pitcher out of a bit of a pickle, but it wasn't to be, and instead it put him IN a serious pickle. David Genao then steps to the plate and doubles, driving in three runs.  The hardy fans braving the elements really enjoyed that string of events.

Yes Sir EEEEEE! Jim Babaloooooeeeee!    I'll take the sweep.  It may seem that our pitching was a bit sluggish to date, but let's not forget that we have faced some really good hitters over these first 7 games.  LeMoyne can hit, the Cajuns can hit.  Even Army played the Cajuns tough in their first game falling to the Cajuns 2-1.  The teams we've played have some, "Game".  I believe that we are still working through the early season heebeejeebee's, our pitchers are still developing their command. Nothing builds confidences like winning!  I've been impressed with Serrano.  Reneau has shown flashes of greatness and I am most pleased with how Luna has developed.  A lot of innings were put on his arm early and he has hung in there and competed with tooth and grit.  My kinda baseball.  Nice to see how Martinez is coming along, we always knew he had a good glove, but he also has some pop in his bat.  This could be a magical year.  See you all on the basepaths.

Irish

I still don't know what to make of this team, except that we've won every game we've played!  Statistically, we're very close to our opposition in most offensive categories, and yet we're outscoring the opposition by a whopping 56-28.  We only have three more hits than our opponents (63-60) and STILL have not hit a HR (vs. 4 for the other guys).  Very interesting that we have 13 errors (vs. 14), and yet we have scored 15 unearned runs compared to 4.  Obviously, our errors have not hurt us NEARLY as much as the teams we've played.  Another key stat is that we've walked (or been hit by pitch) 44 times, whereas our pitchers have only given up 29.  Those additional 15 baserunners have played a key role in several of our BIG multi-run innings. 

We have some great match-ups later this month - and it's sure to be an exciting season for the Golden Eagles.  But, I must say that I hope that we are NOT ranked this week.  I want the team to get the bugs worked out before they start thinking higher of themselves than they should!

If you go back and review the play-by-play of the games we are winning, we are taking advantage of any and all mistakes by our opponents.  We are not playing great ball right now....but hey, we are winning....so i will take it.  Does anybody know who our **stud pitchers** are who may be hurt and what the ETA on them might be?

Yes I was also wondering which pitchers are still out.  We play 9 games in this 13 day stretch starting 2/29 and it doesn't ease up anytime soon.  I hope there are more good pitchers out there.  There are 16 pitchers on the roster, we've seen 9 + Minnisale.  Two pitchers on the roster are freshmen so I'm not sure how much time they will see.

Someone out there must know more.  Give us a "scouting report".

What I have really been impressed with so far is that whenever the opponent scores and draws close - or takes the lead - we immediately bear down, work the count, get base runners, and promptly answer with more runs.

That's classic Rob Walton style, and it's no coincidence that those rallies were preceded by pep talks from the skipper on the dugout steps.  This team has so far answered every single challenge - from their opponents, and from Coach...  :-D

Yes I was also wondering which pitchers are still out.  We play 9 games in this 13 day stretch starting 2/29 and it doesn't ease up anytime soon.  I hope there are more good pitchers out there.  There are 16 pitchers on the roster, we've seen 9 + Minnisale.  Two pitchers on the roster are freshmen so I'm not sure how much time they will see.

Someone out there must know more.  Give us a "scouting report".

My info about the rehab-ing pitchers could be wrong - but it came from Mike Carter himself!

My info about the rehab-ing pitchers could be wrong - but it came from Mike Carter himself!

....which came from Rob Walton himself!!  :-D  Rob has talked a couple of times about the fact that the pitchers that he brought in this season had off-season treatments which have not allowed them to get ready for the season yet.  He is hopeful to have them soon, but the "mystery pitchers" are expected to be very good.