ORU Notebook: Happy return - Tulsa World (12-29-05)

ORUTerry

ORU Notebook: Happy return

By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer

12/29/2005

Senior point guard Jonathan Bluitt returned to action for the first time in three weeks Wednesday night at Oklahoma. Bluitt's return from a sore Achilles tendon bolstered a Golden Eagles offensive attack that had struggled at times in losses at Louisiana-Lafayette and Utah State.

Coming off the bench, Bluitt played 27 minutes against the 14th-ranked Sooners and matched his season-high with 13 points in the 81-73 loss. Bluitt entered the game shooting just under 30 percent. But he made 5-of-8 shots, including three 3-pointers, Wednesday night.

"I felt a little rusty. But while I was out, it gave me the opportunity to work on my jump shot and make a few adjustments," Bluitt said. "I felt real comfortable shooting the basketball tonight."

Double trouble again:

Caleb Green's 18-point, 10-rebound effort marked the 37th time in his ORU career, and sixth this season, that he has attained double figures in both statistical categories in the same game.

Green earned himself a fan in OU's Kevin Bookout, who defended him throughout the second half.

"Caleb is so impressive. I was playing behind him and he knew the double-team defense was coming. But he gets his left shoulder out into you and ball fakes you," Bookout said.

"He's a heck of a player -- a great player. I can't wait to keep watching him progress with basketball."

Infirmary report:

Bluitt's return to the lineup helped a depleted ORU roster. Senior guard Chris Riouse remains out with a sore foot and senior guard Andrew Meloy is out another couple of weeks with an injured left knee.

Sophomore forward Yemi Ogunoye vomited at halftime Wednesday, according to coach Scott Sutton. Ogunoye, though, was able to play in the second half.

Rank and file:

The 81-73 loss to OU dropped ORU's all-time record to 7-39 in games against opponents ranked in the Associated Press poll. ORU's last win against an AP ranked team was an 86-81 decision over No. 16 Arkansas on Nov. 27, 1996, at the Mabee Center.