ORU v. UTSA - 6:00 p.m.

Bogus Smith

:evil:

I am so happy to be listening to baseball again.  Anybody know how many of our games can/will be televised?  Also, I am pumped to play ULL tomorrow.

Bottom of the 6th, ORU ahead 5 - 0.  UTSA won the Southland Conference last year and is voted to repeat as the Southland Conference Champion in 2008.

Serrano is throwing a no-hitter through 5.1 innings (2 walks and one error, so not a perfect game).

Going into the bottom of the 8th, ORU still on top 5 - 0 with Serrano working on his no-hitter.

Do you know the story on Serrano, Bogus?  I don't recognize the name - is he new this season or was he with us previously?

Do you know the story on Serrano, Bogus?  I don't recognize the name - is he new this season or was he with us previously?

Below is the story on Serrano.  His no-hitter was broken up in the bottom of the 8th and Brett Carroll came in to relieve him.  The score going into the top of the 9th is 5 - 1.

Before ORU:

Spent two years at Cypress College ... Played for head coach Scott Pickler in the Orange Empire Conference ... Appeared in five games in 2007 for the Chargers posting a 1-1 record in 9.1 innings of work ... Picked up his win against Merced College by not allowing an earned run and striking out three in 3.1 innings ... Posted a 2-1 record as a freshman in 2006 ... Finished with a 4.50 ERA while striking 20 and only allowing six walks in 24.0 innings.

High School:

Prepped under head coach Jesse Gonzalez at Downey High School in Downey, Calif. ... Named team MVP, Dream Team first-team, and first-team All-League ... Also earned Offensive MVP for football and selected first-team All-League in football ... Was named to the Deans List.

Personal:

Full name is Mark Arthur Serrano ... Son of Mark and Carole Serrano ... English Major ... Born on September 14, 1985 in Los Angeles, Calif. ... Chose ORU over Pepperdine, Long Beach State and Fresno State.

UTSA making a game of it, 5-3, two outs, bottom of the ninth.  Pitching change for ORU with the tying run on and go-ahead run at the plate.

Very nice start to the season, 2-0!!  Tomorrow's game should be another good one with La-La, ranked #19 in the country.  Tomorrow's pitcher is Michael Jarman.

Sully also had a good game in the Army game giving up one earned run in 8 innings.  I would think that they took him out due to pitch count.

ahhhhh yes.  baseball season.....

i always forget what it feels like and next thing you know i'm jumping up and down and shouting at an umpire i cant see....pacing in my office with an ear phone blaring in my ear while my secretary looks through the office window and thinks i'm going crazy....

i'm so glad its that time of year.

go eagles.

Hey TMH8286.... "He chose ORU over Pepperdine"  Look at the BIO for Serrano.... Scot Pickler was the head coach. I wonder if this was the same Head Coach for the Dennis Yarmouth Red Sox in the Cape Cod League.  Jerry Sullivan played for Scott Pickler on the Championship team this past summer.      This is another Rob Walton behind the scenes maneuver.  It just shows what a great coach he is.  Always in the know and on the go! 

Excellent observation, Irish.  Hard to imagine why a SoCal boy would pick Tulsa over Malibu, but you probably nailed it.  For these young athletes, who hope to play beyond college, there's more on their minds than the weather. 

Having a great coach/mentor like Rob Walton opens a lot of doors for ORU.... he is one of the best baseball minds in College baseball. It also doesn't hurt that he is the manager for Team USA this summer. A nice recognition of Walton's abilities.