Bookout busts out - Tulsa World (12-29-05)

ORUTerry

Bookout busts out

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

12/29/2005

Senior forward, Terrell Everett combine for 41 points

NORMAN -- Kevin Bookout's interior dominance was complemented by Terrell Everett's second-half surge, and 14th-ranked Oklahoma held on to defeat Oral Roberts.

Connecting on 10 of his 18 field-goal attempts, the 6-8, 270-pound Bookout contributed 24 points and 10 rebounds as the Sooners rallied for an 81-73 triumph.

"I've never seen Kevin Bookout make as many big shots as he did tonight," ORU coach Scott Sutton said.

"Tonight was Kevin's best game," OU coach Kelvin Sampson said.

Wednesday's Lloyd Noble Center crowd of 8,123 saw Everett score all of his 17 points during the final 16-plus minutes of play.

"My teammates told me to keep attacking," Everett explained. "After that, my shot started falling."

Ahead of Saturday's ESPN-televised home date with Alabama, the Sooners are 7-2. OU's Taj Gray had a 12-point, nine-rebound performance, while Nate Carter was 6-of-6 at the foul line and scored 16 points.

Referring to OU's 51-44 second-half deficit, Sampson remarked, "You get down seven and you win by nine. We had to show some grit, show some toughness."

Forward Caleb Green totaled 18 points and 10 rebounds for the Golden Eagles, now 5-6 with a three-game losing streak.

From the field, ORU outshot the Sooners 55 percent to 43 percent from the field, but the Golden Eagles committed 18 turnovers that resulted in 23 Oklahoma points. Green and center Mickey Michalec committed a combined total of 13 turnovers. The Sooners committed a season-low five turnovers.

Larry Owens had 15 points for ORU, while Jonathan Bluitt added 13 and Ken Tutt finished with 10.

"Basketball is a game of breaks. Tonight, the breaks went for OU," said Bluitt, ORU's senior point guard who had been sidelined for three FROM B-3 weeks with an ankle injury.

In a back-and-forth battle that included 14 lead changes, the Golden Eagles led by seven points (51-44) with 13 minutes remaining.

"We were playing awfully well and had the momentum," Sutton said.

With 2:18 left, Bookout converted on a remarkably difficult shot that gave OU the lead for good. Fouled by Michalec 10 feet from the basket, Bookout lost control of the basketball. He jabbed at the free ball with his right hand, poking it toward the rim, and the ball fell through net. Bookout sank the free throw for the 3-point play and a 73-70 Sooner advantage.

"When you hear that whistle, your automatic reaction is to throw it up there by the rim," Bookout said. "I had good position and knew where I was on the court."

After attempting only four shots in last week's All-College Classic loss to West Virginia, Bookout was aggressive offensively against ORU. During a first-half span of four minutes, he scored 11 consecutive points. Two of the baskets came on 12-foot jump-hooks from the right baseline. Bookout said he practiced that shot for 50 minutes on Tuesday.

"I was so confident today," he said. "When I'm feeling that hook shot, I feel like I can make it from anywhere on the floor."

Said Sutton: "I haven't seen (Bookout) hit that many tough shots. Normally, his comfort area is five or six feet from the basket. He probably had four or five jump-hooks from 10 to 12 feet. That's a tough shot."

Michael Neal's 3-point shot gave the Sooners a 37-29 cushion late in the first half. ORU answered impressively. From the final minute of the first half through the 13-minute mark of the second period, the Golden Eagles outscored OU 22-7. Owens scored three times, Green sank a rainbow shot over two defenders and Yemi Ogunoye had a layup to give ORU its 51-44 advantage.

The Sooners countered with a 12-3 run. Everett swished a 3-pointer that gave OU a 56-54 lead with 9:30 left. ORU had crafted a five-point lead (67-62) when Everett rescued the Sooners with two additional 3-pointers. During the final 2:18, OU was 7-of-8 on free throws.

"Terrell played like a really, really good player," Sampson said. "He was into it tonight."

With three dates remaining on a grueling seven-game road stretch, the Golden Eagles visit Minnesota on Saturday. ORU then opens Mid-Continent Conference play with games at Chicago State (Tuesday) and Southern Utah (Jan. 4).