Hate to see this

orumom

I thought that being in the ARC, Valpo would pull it off. This gives UMKC one extra road win I didn't want in their win/loss column :?

Kangaroos Jump Crusaders at ARC

Dan Oppland (Saint Louis, Mo./Whitfield) posted his first double-double of the season, but the UMKC Kangaroos broke out on top early and pulled away late for a 75-62 win over Valpo Tuesday night at the Athletics-Recreation Center.

Oppland snared a season-high 11 rebounds, five offensive, and scored 19 points for the second straight game. The senior hit 9-of-18 shots, but only 1-of-6 three-pointers on another woeful night for the Crusaders from behind the arc. The Brown and Gold made just 5-of-25 triples, and have now shot a combined 16-for-80 from deep in their four losses.

Ron Howard (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) had his third-straight solid game, scoring 17 points to go along with six assists and three steals. Seth Colclasure (Decatur, Ind./Bellmont) was the only other Valpo player in double-figures, finishing with 10 points.

The Kangaroos had a 6-0 lead before two minutes had passed and led 14-4 with 15:29 to go in the first half, pushing the lead as big as 11 before back-to-back buckets by Colclasure started the Crusaders back. Two minutes later, Oppland buried a three-pointer and Valpo had their first lead of the game, 26-24, but UMKC was resilient, closing the first half on a 10-1 run to lead 34-29 at halftime.

Most of Valpo?s first half offense came thanks to good pressure defense, forcing the Kangaroos, who came in averaging a league-best 12.6 turnovers, to 11 in the first twenty minutes. The most surprising statistic from the first half, and the main reason for UMKC?s success, was their work on the boards. The Kangaroos came in being out-rebounded soundly by their opponents, but dominated the first half glass, holding a 22-11 edge.

The second half began with the two teams trading baskets until an Oppland hoop closed the Crusaders to 42-40 with 14:51 remaining. On the next Kangaroo trip, however, Brent Stephens put back a Dee Ayuba miss, and Valpo would never threaten again, as UMKC pulled away down the stretch and made enough late free throws to keep the hosts at bay.

The Kangaroos shot 45/1% from the floor in the game, and made an impressive 8-of-13 three-pointers (61.5%). UMKC out-rebounded Valpo 43-36 and recorded 12 steals, and shot 18 more free throws (31-13) than the Crusaders. The Brown and Gold shot 36.9% from the floor but committed only 14 turnovers.

UMKC?s (4-5, 1-0 Mid-Con) Quinton Day led all scorers with 22 points and four steals, and Tim Blackwell added 14. Kalu Guasco, playing in only his second game of the season, had 12 points and five rebounds.

Valpo (5-4, 0-1 Mid-Con) got little scoring from anyone besides the three seniors in double-figures, with Jarryd Loyd?s (Lincolnwood, Ill./Niles West) five points next best. Shawn Huff (Helsinki, Finland/Makelanrinne) pulled down six rebounds, but made only 1-of-6 shots and finished with four points.

The Crusaders are back in action on the road Thursday night against Centenary. That game is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m. with pregame coverage on the Valpo Sports Radio Network and online at www.valpo.edu/athletics set for 6:45 p.m.

Box Score http://www.valpo.edu/athletics/assets/s ... 01661.html

Mom, from your title to this thread I assume that you feel UMKC is a greater challenge to us in league than Valpo? Personally, I prefer Valpo to have the early loss - at this point in the season UMKC is looking to be much less of a challenge for the league championship than Valpo.

UMKC came on strong after Jan. 1 last season, and they may do it again, but somehow I just don't feel that they have the talent that they did with Carlton Aaron and Michael English in the lineup.

Valpo, on the other hand, has the team to make it hard on us down the stretch. Last night's loss gives us a small advantage, at least for the time being. That's why I'm not disappointed in the outcome of last night's game.

I listened to the second half of the game, and it sounded to me like Valpo just lacked intensity. Their announcer was very frustrated by it. He complained that Valpo was standing around, not making enough effort on rebounds and the like.

For example, even after last night's game was added to the season statistics, UMKC has been out-rebounded by opponents on average 40 to 32.

Last night UMKC out-rebounded Valpo by 7, 43 to 36. Lots of rebounds available - Valpo shot only 37% for the game, and only 20% from 3 pt. range. On the other hand, UMKC shot 45% and 61%, respectively.

UMKC?s (4-5, 1-0 Mid-Con) Quinton Day led all scorers with 22 points and four steals, and Tim Blackwell added 14. Kalu Guasco, playing in only his second game of the season, had 12 points and five rebounds.

That, and the 61% you mentioned make me think UMKC could be one of our toughest MidCon opponents. They have lost good players, but they appear to have reloaded. I would rather meet up with Valpo in the Midcon Tournament than UMKC, for several reasons, including their fans (even missing Mama Watson).

But it was just one game....not the season :)

Mom, from your title to this thread I assume that you feel UMKC is a greater challenge to us in league than Valpo? Personally, I prefer Valpo to have the early loss - at this point in the season UMKC is looking to be much less of a challenge for the league championship than Valpo.

tmh8286 I will ask you who would you least want to play in the Mid-Con tourney? Who would you like not to have a high seed in the tourney? My answer is UMKC!

Since Valpo has never won at the Mabee and UMKC has no problem, I much prefer a UMKC road loss at Valpo.

tmh8286 I will ask you who would you least want to play in the Mid-Con tourney? Who would you like not to have a high seed in the tourney? My answer is UMKC!

Ask me again after we've had a chance to play each of them this season. I understand where you're coming from, though. We've struggled with UMKC in recent meetings, especially in Tulsa.

Prior to the 2001 season UMKC had never beaten us at home. From 2001 forward, we are 1-4 against the Kangaroos at home. So I'm beginning to see the light.

However, this is a different team than those that have been beating us, and lack the star power of some of those earlier teams. Valpo, on the other hand, has been very solid up until last night. I think that they are the greater threat in league play. That's primarily what I was meaning when I said I would rather Valpo have the loss. It all goes out the window when it's tournament time.

Honestly, I'm so tired of UMKC breaking my heart :cry: . I'm not near as concerened about Valpo, even though Oppland is a stud. UMKC just has no problem whipping up on our boys, and I'm afraid at this point it could be a mental thing they have over us, so I definately would rather play Valpo in the finals...

Guys, guys, keep in mind that ONE conference game has been played so far, it's too soon to jump to conclusions. Any win at Valpo is a good one, but who knows what team is gonna peak at the end when it counts and which teams will fizzle out.

On a side note, I went to the beach today (gotta love FL) and some guys were playing ultimate frisbee. I noticed one team was almost entirely guys wearing purple speedos. I started laughing. Who the heck wears purple speedos to the beach in December? Then I saw the writing on the side of it - WIU. No joke. I guess Western's swimming / diving team is in town.

Ouch.... I see where UMKC shot 33 (!) three pointers; they went 11 for 20 in the first half and only 2 for 13 in the second half. 33 out of their 57 total field goal attempts were 3-pointers.

Ouch.... I see where UMKC shot 33 (!) three pointers; they went 11 for 20 in the first half and only 2 for 13 in the second half. 33 out of their 57 total field goal attempts were 3-pointers.

Think they're missing Engilsh and Aaron inside?