Link to UMKC vs Valpo game

ORUTerry

UMKC beats Valpo, 75 to 62 at Valpo.

UMKC raced out to an 11 point lead in the first half on hot shooting and good rebounding. Valpo turned up its defensive pressure which cause the Roos problems; Valpo took the lead with about 4:00 minutes left in the half as UMKC got cold from the field and started turning the ball over. UMKC re-took the lead on a three pointer with 2 minutes to go and took a five point lead into half-time.

The teams traded buckets for the first seven minutes or so - and then UMKC made some shots and separated themselves. At the 10:00 minute mark they had a 14 point lead. With 4 minutes to go, the score was 67 to 59.... Valpo went cold and only scored three points for the rest of the game. Valpo started fouling the UMKC post player (Kalu?) away from the basket - and he proceeded to miss several free throws. In fact, if UMKC had made their free throws, the game would have been more of a run away. The stats will be interesting to look at; UMKC was seriously out-rebounding Valpo in the first half.

Here's something to take from the game -

Keep Day off the line! 9-of-11 accounts for almost half of his points, while 5 made FG's reminds me of Michael Watson (granted, I think Day is a better player)

Put Kalu on the line! 2-of-9? Can you say hack-a-Shaq?

Did you listen to the game, Adder? In the final couple of minutes Day kept coming up with the defensive rebound - Valpo wasn't hitting anything - and Valpo would foul him right away. That's why he had all of those free throws. Even Valpo's announcer was frustrated that they couldn't put Kalu on the line - they just weren't able to foul him when he had the ball. He probably wasn't getting the ball much there at the end. I'm not sure that he was even in the game at that point.

Na, I didn't listen to the game, just looked at the box score. Guess if he made most of those FT's as the game was winding down then there isn't much you can do about it.

To make sure I was telling you correctly, I checked the play-by-play, and Day scored 5 FT's in the final 1:09 of the game. His two misses came in that same time period, or a few seconds before. In the last two minutes of the game it looks like Day is the only UMKC player on the court on the p-b-p. His is the only name on the UMKC side.